Melbourne attack – Somali terrorist knifeman kills one and ‘blows up car packed with gas canisters’ on Bourke Street before being shot dead by cops in city centre

Witnesses said the brainwashed maniac's car "exploded" before he began swinging a large blade at shoppers and cops in the city's busy Bourke Street at 4pm local time.

Dramatic footage shows a man using a shopping trolley as a weapon helping cops as the Somali-born attacker lunges at them.

One of the police officers in the clip appears to taser the knifeman before he drops to the ground.

A law enforcement official told reporters that the crazed killer has died, had links to terrorism and was known to both Victoria Police and federal investigators.

The official said the twisted terrorist, who moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s, was known authorities because of his "relatives".

Authorities confirmed that the radicalised attacker had gas cylinders in his car which was set alight before the knife rampage

The attack is being treated as a terrorist incident and is being probed by counter terrorism cops, the official confirmed.

Police have not yet released the identity of the attacker.

Witnesses said the maniac's burning car exploded while the maniac charged at innocent shoppers with a blade.

Onlookers reportedly shouted at the officers "shoot him, shoot him".

Harrowing pictures show a dead body lying in the street covered by a white sheet surrounded by pools of blood.

It has since emerged that one of the stab victims has died at the scene.

Three people were rushed to hospital while one of those victims suffered a neck injury is said to be in a critical condition, reports.

Victoria Police confirmed the suspect was arrested at the scene after being shot in the chest before being taken to hospital in critical condition.

Witness Meegan May told said she was on a tram when she heard someone start screaming “he’s got a knife”.

She said she saw the killer fighting with cops while the car burned in the background.

Meegan said: “A moment later, I heard a loud bang – to me it sounded like a gunshot.”

Around ten police cars and an ambulance arrived on the scene moments later.

One witness told Sky News that there were multiple explosions.

He said: “There was one explosion and fire, then a second explosion and it was like a massive fireball.”

Other witnesses saw the knifeman in the car “throw something into the back” before it burst into flames, 3AW Radio reports.

Another unnamed onlooker told 7News that they saw the car crash and "explode".

They added: "People were running everywhere. I thought it was like what happened last year so I started running. Everyone started running. It was so scary.”

KFC worker Markel Villasin, 22, described seeing a victim on the ground who he believed had been stabbed in the face.

He told AAP: “Me and the managers ran out and that’s when we saw the car on fire and then we saw the guy on the floor and we wanted to help.

“There were two blokes helping him out already, he was face down pools of blood around his face.

“I’m pretty sure he got stabbed in the face.

“Because he was on his stomach, they turned him over to see if he’s alright, he was still alive.”

Bystander Drew Hair told the news outlet that he heard an explosion and  the saw a “big dude punching into the police car”.

He said the attacker was around 6ft4in tall.

Drew added: “The cops were trying to hit him with batons and he wasn’t going down.

More to follow…

For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online. is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here. 

Like us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

Source: Read Full Article