Woman, 19, suffers third-degree burns after sparking fire soaking acrylic nails

A woman suffered third-degree burns to her arms and hands after the bowl of acetone she was soaking her acrylic nails in suddenly went up in flames.

Maya Edwards, 19, has told how the toxic chemical fumes mixed with a nearby candle she had lit earlier – and the bowl was set alight.

She sprinted to the bathroom holding the bowl and threw it into the bath during the freak accident on Sunday night.

But in a stroke of bad luck, she accidentally set the shower curtain on fire and suffered third degree burns.

Maya has now shared photographs of her burns on Facebook in order to warn other women about using the chemical commonly used in nail treatments.



During the incident, her screams caused her mother Jules Keeling, 45, to run in and see what was going on.

Jules, who works in the Breast Care Centre in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, rushed her daughter to Leicester Royal Infirmary Hospital immediately.

Now Maya, of Glenfield, Leicester, who works in admin at an accountancy firm, will be receiving a series of skin grafts on her hands and up her arms later this week.

Acetone is a flammable chemical and is a component of many nail polish removers.

She said: "I am in constant pain

"I am lucky to not have burns covering my face and lucky to not have burnt our home down."


She added on Facebook: "I want to raise the awareness of just how dangerous acetone, that we soak our acrylics off with, in the same room as a candle can be."

She said: "Honestly be careful, yes it says flammable – but you don’t realise just how flammable it can be, even just from fumes mixing with the heat.

"The bottle does warn you that it is flammable but never did I expect this outcome."

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Chris Watts sobs as he pleads guilty
  • Girl, 9, begs to work after mum died
  • More children stabbed after school
  • Shopper stunned after opening huge box

Source: Read Full Article