John Cleese criticises being 'censored' by the BBC

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

John Cleese, 82, took the opportunity to address Emily Maitlis and Andrew Marr’s departure from the BBC. The Fawlty Towers star has claimed both reporters have become more open since they quit the Beeb.

His comments come after he shared a tweet from a social media user who reacted to Andrew’s monologue on his show for LBC on Thursday.

During the three-minute clip, the broadcaster responded to King Charles’ “oh dear oh dear” greeting to Liz Truss and the current state of Britain’s economy.

Andrew stated: “I’m a patriotic member, of a patriotic family, and there is nothing about our current economic political crisis that doesn’t make me squirm with embarrassment and grief. We are a better country than we seem at the moment.”

He added: “What happens at Westminster happens in your house too.”

Twitter user, Jacqui Hames wrote: “What a loss @AndrewMarr9 is to the @BBCNews – just brilliant…”

John retweeted the post in view of his 5.7 million followers before he shared his thoughts.

He wrote: “Interesting that Marr and Maitlis feel they can be more open with their viewers than they could at the BBC

“This is because the BBC has become a bureaucracy, where the staff’s only real purpose is to hang on to their jobs by not upsetting anyone.”

Express.co.uk has contacted BBC representatives for comment.

Andrew quit the BBC last year and in March, he started his first show called Tonight with Andrew Marr on LBC.

Former BBC journalists Emily and Jon Sopel announced they were leaving the corporation in February after they launched a new podcast and also host a radio show together at LBC.

John has since announced he will front a new GB News TV and radio show because the BBC would have quickly “cancelled” him.

DON’T MISS…

Kate Garraway updates fans on Derek’s progress after she ‘lost NTA'[LATEST]
Ronnie Wood joined by Geri Horner and Christian to unveil new artwork[PICTURES]
Ant and Dec address NTA win as Alison Hammond says she should’ve won[TV]

It comes after the Fawlty Towers star openly criticised the Beeb and walked out of an interview with BBC journalist Karishma Vaswani last year after being questioned about cancel culture.

At the time, the comedian said he is putting in a formal complaint about the “deception, dishonesty and tone” of the BBC interview he had given.

GB News confirmed this week that actor, comedian, writer, and producer, John, will host a new series on the channel next year.

The programme will feature John in conversation with his choice of guests on a wide range of areas that interest him.

The new show marks John’s return to UK television after a three-year hiatus after he last appeared on British screens in the sitcom Hold the Sunset in 2019.

Fans shared their support for John and congratulated him on his latest move.

Harry penned: “I see the #splitters are out today. In contrast, I wish you success and I look forward to watching  it.”

John responded: “I appreciate your open-mindedness, Harry. But beware of the ‘wokes’. They won’t like it!

“Like all people who believe they are purer than they actually are, they are authoritarians. Which is why all the best comedians make fun of them.”

 

Source: Read Full Article