Prince Charles was ‘delighted’ when Meghan Markle married Prince Harry and had planned to ‘expand their role’ in the monarchy before they moved to LA, royal author claims

  • Prince Charles had planed to ‘expand’ Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s role 
  • Author Nigel Cawthorne claimed  Charles, 71, was ‘delighted’ when the pair wed
  • Says pair were never part of Charles’ plans for a more slimmed down monarchy  

Prince Charles had plans to ‘expand’ Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s role in the monarchy before they moved to Los Angeles, a royal expert has claimed. 

Royal author Nigel Cawthorne has told that Charles, 71, was ‘delighted’ when Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, tied the knot in May 2018, and was ‘undoubtedly planning on increasing their role in the royal family. 

However, those hopes were dashed when the royal pair decided to step down as senior royals in March and move with their son Archie to LA – as there’s ‘no such thing as an absent HRH’. 

Prince Charles had plans to ‘expand’ Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s role in the monarchy before they moved to Los Angeles, a royal expert has claimed. Pictured, Duke and Duchess of Sussex attending the Mountbatten Festival of Music at Royal Albert Hall in March this year

Royal author Nigel Hawthorne has told that Charles, 71,  pictured attending engagements in Gloucester last week, was ‘delighted’ when Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, tied the knot in May 2018

While Charles has always been an advocate of a leaner monarchy, Cawthorne claimed the royal couple were never part of his plans to slim down The Firm. 

He believes their decision to emigrate from the UK meant their position in the royal family ‘had to come to an end’. 

He said: ‘Of course, when they decided to emigrate all that had to come to an end as there is no such thing as an absentee HRH.’  

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex decided to step back as senior royals in January, originally planning to split their time between the US and UK. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, pictured in London this year,  decided to step back as senior royals in January, originally planning to split their time between the US and UK 

However, the royal pair headed to LA at the start of the coronavirus pandemic and have since been staying with son Archie at Tyler Perry’s $18million Beverly Hills mansion. 

The royal author went on to alledge that while Meghan and Harry are well-loved by the British public, The Firm must not rely on the popularity of it’s members alone.  

The Prince of Wales has long preferred the idea of a smaller Monarchy, looking to European royals as an example of a royal structure which will ‘dampen a sense of entitlement’ among younger members.

Pictured, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe at the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation during their royal tour of South Africa on September 25, 2019 in Cape Town

Furthermore, Charles believes HRH status comes with responsibility not suited to every member of the royal family.   

Earlier this week is was reported that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will benefit from a cut down monarchy as it means they’ll be able to focus on their ‘important’ work. 

Royal commentator Duncan Larcombe suggested Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘s decision to step back as senior royals may give Prince William and Kate Middleton ‘space to focus on the job they’ve got to do.’ 

Royal commentator Duncan Larcombe suggested the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, both 38, will benefit from a cut down monarchy as it means they’ll be able to focus on their ‘important’ work. Pictured, visiting Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn as part of the NHS birthday celebrations on July 5 in Norfolk

Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle, 38, attend the Commonwealth Day Service 2020 on March 9 in London

‘Despite all the noise around Harry and Meghan, the reality is William and Kate have got a pretty important job to do,’ he said, speaking to True Royalty TV .

‘This is giving them space, and to some extent the Prince Andrew ongoing Epstein saga, it is giving William and Kate the space to focus on the job they’ve got to do. ‘And I think at the moment, they are doing very well.’ 

Prince William and Kate have since been at the forefront of the Royal Family’s response to the global crisis, continuing  to operate behind closed doors. 

They have conducted virtual engagements via video call, while homeschooling their three children Prince George, six, Princess Charlotte, five, and Prince Louis, one, at their Norfolk Home, Anmer Hall.

Source: Read Full Article