It’s something that most people dread – finding out that your partner has been cheating on you.
Now, scientists have revealed the top eight reasons why some people are unfaithful.
Researchers from the University of Maryland surveyed 562 adults who had admitted to being unfaithful while in a committed, romantic relationship.
Dr Dylan Selterman, who led the study, said: “Despite the widespread prevalence of infidelity, there hasn’t been much research into what makes people cheat.
“Gaining a deeper understanding of what motivates people to engage in infidelity may help couples repair their relationships following an infidelity, or may help them prevent the onset of cheating in the first place.
“Clinicians may also find it useful during couples’ therapy.”
Participants were asked nearly 80 questions, that allowed the researchers to identify the eight common reasons that they had cheated.
The results revealed that men were more likely to report being motivated to cheat by sexual desire, variety and situational forces, while women were more likely to be motivated by neglect.
Further, they say the variety and diversity of motivations associated with infidelity suggest it can happen to anyone – even couples in seemingly stable relationships.
Scroll down for the full list.
Dr Selterman added: “We often hear that infidelity is a symptom, not a cause, of a damaged relationship.
“Our research suggests it’s not that simple: People cheat for a variety of reasons, many of which are not a direct reflection of a relationship’s health.”
The top 8 reasons why people cheat
1. Anger: seeking revenge for a partner’s betrayal
2. Sexual desire: feeling unsatisfied with the sex in a relationship and wanting to try something new
3. Lack of love : loss of passion or interest in a partner, falling “out of love”
4. Neglect: not receiving enough love, respect and attention
5. Low commitment: one partner is not as committed as the other, or both partners didn’t understand the relationship was exclusive
6. Situation: includes scenarios outside of a person’s normal, such as being intoxicated, on vacation, or under high stress
7. Esteem: seeking to increase self-worth by having sex with multiple partners
8. Variety: wanting to experience sex with as many partners as possible
Source: Read Full Article