Jet2 extends the cancellation period of all flights and holidays to July 1 in light of ‘ongoing travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic’

  • Travel firm previously said flights and holidays would recommence on June 17 
  • But it pushed back the date, saying health and safety was its ‘absolute priority’
  • Jet2 says all affected holidaymakers will be contacted to discuss options  
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Jet2 has extended the cancellation period of all of its flights and holidays until July 1.

The tour operator, which is Britain’s second-biggest holiday company, had previously said that its flights and holidays would recommence on June 17.

But today, the firm said that in view of the ongoing travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic, it was pushing this date back by two weeks, adding that ‘the health and safety of our customers is our absolute priority’.

Jet2 has extended the cancellation period of all of its flights and holidays until July 1 

A spokesperson for Jet2 said: ‘Like all other airlines and tour operators, the restrictions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic have impacted us.

‘With aircraft grounded, our focus has been on looking after customers whose flights and holidays have been affected, and we are very proud to have been recognised as the best airline and best tour operator in the UK for how we have been treating customers in response to the pandemic, according to a major investigative survey by MoneySavingExpert.com.

‘Our teams have been working around the clock to look after customers and independent travel agents, and we can assure everyone affected by today’s announcement that they will receive the same level of service.

‘Customers who were due to travel before July 1 do not need to contact us. We are continuing to proactively contact customers to discuss their options, one of which is rebooking their holiday to a later date.

‘We know just how important holidays are to our customers, and how much they give customers something to look forward to, particularly after a difficult time such as this. If a customer has a booking that is due to depart on or after July 1, the booking is subject to our normal terms and conditions.

‘We have said throughout that the sun will shine again and when it does, we will be there to take customers away on their well-deserved holidays.

‘As well as taking them away for their much-needed holidays, customers can be assured that we will be implementing measures, in consultation with the relevant authorities, to ensure the safety and well-being of everybody on board. We will announce further details on this in due course.’

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) continues to warn Britons against all non-essential travel abroad 

Yesterday, it was revealed that British travellers are backing the idea of travel ‘corridors’ and ‘bubbles’, with searches for holidays to Italy and France rocketing this week.

Ministers are mulling coronavirus ‘air bridges’ to allow travellers to move between countries without the need for quarantine once the outbreak is under control. And Italy, Spain and Greece have all made headlines with announcements around the re-introduction of tourism.

Skyscanner revealed that in response, searches from the UK for holidays in July in Italy are up 103 per cent this week compared to last week and for trips to France by 128 per cent. Overall searches for international travel in July have increased by 37 per cent in the past two weeks.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said a ‘blanket’ 14-day quarantine rule for arrivals in the UK would be introduced from next month.

But he disclosed that there are ‘active discussions’ going on over what countries could be exempted from the regime in future, referring to the idea of ‘air bridges’ – usually used to refer to military flights over enemy territory.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) continues to warn Britons against all non-essential travel abroad. 

Source: Read Full Article