BORIS Johnson will tomorrow say thousands have been ordered to stay at home under the new Test and Trace scheme.
The PM is facing claims the system is failing and no official figures have been produced.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
But at Prime Minister’s Questions he is expected to say contact tracers have hunted down and isolated hundreds of contagion trails in five days.
The scheme launched last week as a condition for schools to return.
A 25,000-strong army is tracing anyone in contact with a virus sufferer.
A senior Government source said: “The number of people who have been advised to self-isolate is well into the thousands.
"They would all otherwise have been walking around and might have unwittingly infected others.”
Channel 4 News said leaked figures showed only 1,749 people had been contacted and told to isolate by Sunday.
That is despite 4,456 confirmed Covid-19 cases reported to the scheme. Health officials said that was “well out of date”.
A watchdog has blasted the Health Secretary for fiddling figures on tests.
Mr Hancock said: “We present the statistics in the best way we can, having built the capacity in record time.
“We are working with the statistics authority to ensure they are constantly improved."
UK Statistics Authority chief Sir David Norgrove wrote to Matt Hancock saying the information was “far from complete”.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
Source: Read Full Article