Intruder tried to break in to Ecuadorian Embassy to kidnap Julian Assange, claim his legal team
- WikiLeaks founder was woken up in the middle of the night by alleged intruder
- He foiled the attempted break-in after setting up a booby trap near the window
- Scaffolding was later erected against embassy in Knightsbridge, west London
- Supporters of Mr Assange claim he has been put at risk of abduction by Ecuador
Julian Assange foiled a break-in at his flat in the Ecuadorian Embassy, his legal team has claimed.
The WikiLeaks founder was woken up in the middle of the night after an alleged intruder attempted to enter a window at the front of the embassy building.
However the opening of the window knocked over a fire hydrant that Mr Assange had set up as a ‘booby trap’, his lawyers have said.
Scaffolding was later erected against the embassy building in Knightsbridge, west London, which representatives said ‘obscures the embassy’s security cameras’.
Scroll down for video
Julian Assange (pictured in 2017) foiled a break-in at his flat in the Ecuadorian Embassy, his legal team has claimed
The WikiLeaks founder was woken up in the middle of the night after an alleged intruder attempted to enter a window at the front of the embassy building (pictured)
The alleged break-in on October 26 was revealed by activist and journalist Suzie Dawson, who was provided with a statement by Mr Assange’s legal team.
Supporters of Mr Assange claim that the whistleblower has been put at risk of abduction by a lack of security at the Ecuadorian Embassy.
- Now it’s ‘snowPEOPLE’ not ‘snowmen’! Furious parents blast… Promising rugby player who became a paraplegic after…
Share this article
Later the same day of the alleged break-in, cyber-security expert Sean O’Brien claimed he was able to walk through the unguarded front door of the embassy.
He also took photographs of ‘surveillance equipment’ which he claimed is pointing towards the building, suggesting they are being used to watch Mr Assange.
Last week, Mr Assange claimed Ecuador is trying to kick him out of its embassy and hand him over to the United States.
Mr Assange, who is wanted in the US for leaking thousands of diplomatic cables back in 2010, made the remark during a teleconference.
The video call was part of a trial taking place in Ecuadorian capital of Quito in which Assange is protesting the terms of his asylum.
Rules included banning him from making political statements, ordering him to take better care of his cat, and insisting he clean the toilet.
Assange has been holed up inside the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012 when he was accused of sexual assault by two women in Sweden.
He denied their claims but refused to travel to Sweden to face them, saying it was part of a ruse to extradite him to the US.
Julian Assange’s fight for freedom: How is the WikiLeaks founder still holed up in an embassy after more than six years?
August 2010 – The Swedish Prosecutor’s Office issues an arrest warrant for Assange for two separate allegations – one of rape and one of molestation. He denies both.
December 2010 – Assange is arrested in London and bailed.
May 2012 – Supreme Court rules Assange should be extradited to Sweden.
June 2012 – Assange take refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy on Hans Crescent in Knightsbridge.
The Ecuadorian embassy in Knightsbridge, which has been Assange’s home since 2012
August 2012 – Ecuador grants him asylum on ‘human rights’ grounds.
August 2015 – Swedish authorities announce they will drop allegations of sexual molestation because they no longer have any time to question him. The rape allegation stayed in place.
October 2015 – Britain calls off its round-the-clock police guard outside the embassy after three years and an estimated cost of £12m.
February 2016 – UN panel rules that Assange has been ‘arbitrarily detained’ by both Swedish and UK authorities.
May 2016 – A cat takes residence in the embassy with Assange.
May 2017 – Swedish prosecutors announce rape allegation has been dropped.
January 2018 – Assange’s lawyers argue that the arrest warrant for skipping bail was no longer relevant and should be withdrawn.
February 2018 – Westminster Magistrates’ Court rejects the claim and insists the warrant is still in place.
Source: Read Full Article