HERE is your daily briefing on all the General Election and Brexit news from the past 12 hours.
Each of the major parties has pledged more help for communities hit by floods in England, a debate between the chancellor and shadow chancellor has been postponed, and Nigel Farage has called on the Conservative Party to withdraw some of its election candidates.
More help for flood-hit communities
The government has announced additional support for communities hit by heavy flooding in the north of England.
Speaking after a meeting of emergency committee Cobra today, the prime minister said the floods were an "absolute tragedy".
He announced measures including an extra 100 army personnel to be sent to South Yorkshire, up to £2,500 for small and medium-sized businesses that have been affected but are not covered by insurance, and extra funding for local councils.
Jeremy Corbyn today said that a Labour government would spend £5.6bn on flood defences over the next ten years.
He has last week visited some of the worst-hit regions, branding the government's response "woeful".
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson has said that "long-term policy changes" are required, and pledged £5bn for flood prevention.
Chancellors debate postponed
A Channel 4 debate that had been expected to take place between the chancellor and shadow chancellor this weekend has been postponed.
The Conservatives' Sajid Javid had been set to face Labour's John McDonnell on Sunday, but the broadcaster has said the plans are "currently on hold" because it had not been "possible to reach an agreement with all parties".
In a video posted to twitter, McDonnell said Javid had "pulled out" of the debate, adding: "Come on chancellor, come and debate the real truth of Labour's policies."
Speaking to Channel 4 News before today’s announcement, Javid said: "I understand that there's discussions going on.
"I'm not going to pre-empt those, but it's always good to have a robust discussion, and I'm happy to discuss with John McDonnell any time."
Farage: 'Tories should withdraw candidates'
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has called on the Conservative Party to withdraw its candidates in some Labour-held seats.
His comments come the day after he announced his party would not field candidates in seats won by the Conservatives at the last election, where it had been thought they could split the Brexit vote.
He has now said that the Tories should withdraw some candidates in kind, and that there are seats in which his party would be better placed to take votes away from Labour.
"I have made an incredibly generous, open offer," he told the BBC.
"It's clear to me it's not a Leave majority in parliament they want, it's just a Tory one."
Speaking after Farage's original announcement, Tory Party chairman James Cleverly said there remained a risk that "the Brexit Party standing in currently Labour or Lib Dem-held seats might actually prevent" the Conservative Party being able to deliver Brexit.
Meanwhile, Tim Walker, the Liberal Democrat candidate in the marginal seat of Canterbury, has announced he will stand aside to avoid splitting the Remain vote with Labour candidate Rosie Duffield.
'Stop Brexit!' man to stand for Lib Dems
Steve Bray, better known as the Stop Brexit man, has announced he is to stand as a candidate for the Liberal Democrats.
Bray, a rare coins dealer from Port Talbot, has become a familiar fixture in Westminster, and is often heard shouting "Stop Brexit!" through a megaphone in the background of news programmes broadcast from outside parliament.
He has now been selected as the candidate in the Cynon Valley constituency in the south of Wales.
The seat has long been held by Labour MP Ann Clwyd, who announced last week that she would be standing down after 35 years in parliament.
Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said that Bray "cannot be accused of not being committed to his cause".
Source: Read Full Article