A Brooklyn woman says a minibar soda left her violently ill and spewing blood at the same Dominican Republic resort where three American guests recently died — and that she was offered a couple’s massage to keep her mouth shut.
Awilda Montes, 43, told The Post that despite the claims of resort staff, it was no “accident” that she downed a soda that tasted like bleach soon after she and her then-boyfriend checked into a luxury room at the Grand Bahia Principe resort in La Romana back in October 2018.
The Windsor Terrace resident said that soon after checking into her luxury room, she went to a stocked minibar and grabbed a bottle of soda, which she asked her boyfriend to open for her since it was sealed tight.
“When I took a swig of it, I swallowed a tiny bit of it, and when I held it there I realized it was tingling in my mouth and then it started burning,” she said.
“I ran to bathroom sink and spit it out and it was all blood.”
She immediately called to her boyfriend, shouting, “This is bleach, this is bleach.”
“My tongue was bleeding and my mucous was all blood,” Montes said.
The couple called the front desk which sent “a lot of people to diffuse the situation.”
“They were very fast to take the bottle away from me,” she remembered.
They arranged for her to see a hotel medic, who gave her IV fluids. When the couple returned to the room, staffers told her the poisonous soda must have been an “accidental mix-up.”
She later received a message in her room offering her an apology gift — with a price.
“They tried to get me to sign a disclaimer — dinner on the beach, a couples massage, or two free nights’ stay — I absolutely refused to sign it,” Montes said.
At first, Montes said, she bought the hotel’s excuse that the incident was an “accidental mixup” by a housekeeping employee — but now she has doubts.
“Now I’m wondering if it was on purpose, by a disgruntled employee,” who was angry with management or their own situation.
“There are times you’re on vacation and you’re lying out on the beach and you ask workers to bring you something,” Montes said.
“There’s a lot of poor people working in this country, and they’re watching people day in day out who are enjoying their lives and don’t enjoy their own.”
Though she’s grateful to have escaped alive, Montes said she no longer has any taste buds.
The hotel offered to investigate the incident but never followed up to report the outcome, she said.
Montes said the recent deaths at the resort may have been prevented if hotel staff followed through with the probe.
“I want them to know that they could have done something to prevent this because they’ve known this since my incident back in October and they should be held accountable,” Montes said.
A rep for the hotel didn’t immediately respond to comment.
Meanwhile, Montes’ sister has reached out to the family of 41-year-old Miranda Schaup-Werner who authorities said died from a heart attack at the resort on May 25.
An engaged Maryland couple was found dead there five days later. Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, died in their room from pulmonary edema and respiratory failure, according to authorities.
Source: Read Full Article