The devastated parents of a three-year-old boy who died after being found face down in a David Lloyd swimming pool have revealed what happened in his final moments.
Little Rocco died after being found at the bottom of the indoor pool at the Moortown centre in Leeds, Yorkshire, on Saturday.
He’d been swimming with his family when tragedy struck.
Steven and Catharine Wright have today released a statement revealing what happened and said they are "totally devastated".
Rocco was with dad Steven and his four-year-old sister for her regular swimming lesson at the club.
There was some confusion as they entered the indoor pool area as one of the swimming instructors had not arrived, they said.
Steven and other parents made enquiries of the other swimming instructor as to what was to happen.
Having been advised that all the children could not be accommodated by the instructors present, Steven resolved to take both children swimming himself.
"It was at this point I decided I would forget the lesson and just swim with both my children only to realise I couldn’t see Rocco," said Steven.
"I checked round the poolside thinking he would be hiding but devastatingly he wasn’t.
"I found him at the far end of pool face down at the bottom.
"I dived in and got him out onto the poolside and screamed for help.
"It was only at this point the lifeguard came over and tried to help."
Paying tribute to Rocco, he continued: "We are all totally devastated by the loss of the most amazing happy joyful boy you could ever wish to meet.
"Rocco truly loved life and we will be left with a void forever that can never be filled.
"RIP buddy, we’ll love you forever."
David Lloyd had previously said a member of staff pulled the boy from the water, which his parents have said is untrue and ‘has caused further grief and upset’.
A spokesman for David Lloyd leisure centres said on Saturday: "We are deeply saddened by today’s incident at our Leeds club.
"The child was swimming with his family in our indoor pool at the time of the incident.
"He was found unconscious just after 9.30am this morning, and was rescued from the water by one of our team.
"Our club teams are fully trained to deal with incidents of this nature, and they immediately administered CPR and the emergency services were called.
"He was taken to hospital by ambulance, accompanied by his mother.
"All of our team at the club are deeply shocked and saddened. Our thoughts are very much with the boy’s family at this very sad time."
David Lloyd has been contacted by Mirror Online for further comment.
Source: Read Full Article