THIS is the horrific moment two white gunmen allegedly shot a black jogger to death in Georgia.

One suspect claimed Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was killed on February 23 by mistake – but his family's lawyer insisted the shocking cellphone footage shows a "murder."

Arbery was gunned down in a neighborhood outside Brunswick and no one has been arrested or charged in the case.

The brutal slaying has resulted in mass outrage from groups like NAACP because Arbery was unarmed and black but the men chasing him in the video are white.

The video went viral on social media on the day a Georgia prosecutor Tom Durden said he wanted a grand jury to decide if criminal charges are warranted against the two men.

In the disturbing video, Arbery can be seen jogging down the street while a pickup truck waits further up the road.

Gregory and Travis McMichael are believed to be inside the vehicle, reports say.

A chilling scream can be heard but it isn't clear what is being said.

Arbery tries to make his way around the tuck but he blocked by a gun-wielding man believed to be Travis, reports say.

A shot is then fired as the two men scuffle before two more shots are fired at point-blank range and Arbery can be seen falling.

Arbery's mother, Wanda Cooper, posted the cellphone video on Twitter and her lawyer Lee Merritt declared "this is murder."

"Mr Arbery had not committed any crime and there was no reason for these men to believe they had the right to stop him with weapons or to use deadly force in furtherance of their unlawful attempted stop," a statement from Merritt read.


Glynn County Police officers arrived on the scene after a 911 call but by the time they arrived, Arbery was shot by a white man, Travis, 34.

Travis and his father, Gregory, 64, a retired Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney investigator, allegedly saw the young unarmed man jogging before they gave chase with their guns.

The New Brunswick News reports 911 dispatchers received two calls about Arbery being in the neighborhood.

The dispatcher was forced to interrupt one caller, saying "I just need to know what he was doing wrong" about 50 seconds into one of these calls.


According to The New York Times, the McMichaels yelled for Arbery to stop because they wanted to talk to have a conversation with him.

They pulled over the pickup truck and Travis allegedly exited with the shotgun in his hand.

Gregory claimed Arbery then started to "violently attack" his son before they began struggling with the shotgun.

This is the point Travis fired "a second later there was a second shot."

Neither Gregory nor Travis McMichael have been charged with Arbery's death two months later.

Arbery's family has started a Facebook page called I Run with Maud to address his tragic death.

"Ahmaud Arbery was wrongfully chased and killed by two individuals who took the law into their own hands after they thought Ahmaud 'looked suspicious' because he was 'running' down the street," the page states.

"Join us in bringing light to this tragedy as we demand justice for Ahmaud Arbery."

Jackie Johnson, the Brunswick Judicial Circuit District attorney, was recused from the case because Gregory used to work as an investigator in the DA office.

But George E. Barnhill, the district attorney in Waycross, was then forced to recuse the case because Cooper claimed Barnhill also had a conflict (because his son reportedly works for Johnson).

Beforehand, Barnhill said there wasn't probable cause for charges against the McMichaels, who had a right to carry firearms and pursue a suspected robber under Georgia law.


The lawyer argued if Arbery attacked Travis, he was "allowed to use deadly force to protect himself," citing the victim's mental health issues and prior convictions.

Michael J. Moore, Arbery's defender, blasted these statements as "flawed," however.

He told the Times "the law does not allow a group of people to form an armed posse and chase down an unarmed person who they believe might have possibly been the perpetrator of a past crime."

Source: Read Full Article