FOR A-level students this year, advice from the government has been far from straightforward.

If your A-level results are lower than you were hoping for, you can use your school's predicted grade or resit your exam. All the information you need is below.

How have my A-level grades been decided?

Despite lots of changes, English students will be getting A-level results on August 13, as it was originally planned for.

The original plan was for teachers to give predictions of students' A-level grades, which would then be monitored by external exam boards.

So, Ofqual asked schools to send exam boards predicted grades for each student (centre assessment grade) and a ranked list of students within each grade boundary (rank order placement) for every subject.

Schools were asked to take into account mocks, homework, classwork and other results in order to provide “fair, objective, and carefully considered”grades.

In these original plans, The Department for Education had said that exam boards will then regulate the grades by combine that information with other relevant data to produce a calculated grade for each student.

Ofqual said the exam boards would then compare different schools' grading and adjust grades based on that.

However, in Scotland thousands of grades were lower than expected and they were all scrapped.

However, on August 12 Gavin Williamson announced that you will also be able to use your grades in mock exams as an alternative to the moderated results you will receive on August 12.

In other words, if your estimated grade is lower than the one your school submitted for you, you can appeal.

You can also choose to resit your exam in Autumn and take that grade instead.

How can I change my calculated grade to my teacher's prediction?

Your schools will have to go through a formal appeals process to submit a valid mock grade for you if you are are unhappy with your A-level results. 

After you have received your A-level results, you can request to know the centre assessment grade and rank order placement your school submitted on your behalf.

In order to do this:

  • You'll need a Ofqual CAG request form from your school.
  • You must request this, not your parents. Lots of schools are planning to release the forms a week or so after results day.
  • You should let your university know if you are requesting a review of your grades and keep them updated as this plays out.

Remember, you cannot challenge your school or college under the appeals process on the centre assessment grade(s) it submitted or your rank order position(s).

How long will it take to change my grade?

It is not known how long the appeals process will take this year but standard practise is for Ofqual to respond within 10 working days.

The department for education has set up an exam results helpline if you need more information. Telephone 0800 100 900.

The Exam Results Helpline can provide information on appeals, complaints, or what a student might be able to do next after you’ve received your results.

Students in England can also contact Ofqual by telephone on 0300 303 3344.

What if I decide to resit my exam in the autumn?

If you want to resit your exam, you should ask your schools for your options.

The education secretary has promised fees for pupils wishing to take resits in October will be waived – so you won't have to pay to resit.

He also said that schools would be given £30 million to pay for invigilation for resits.

How will this affect university or college offers?

Universities have been asked by the Government to hold places for students appealing A-level results.

However it's not all doom and gloom because it is anticipated that fewer overseas students will be coming to the UK to study – meaning more spaces for UK students.

Source: Read Full Article