A judge Friday ordered the release of an NYPD officer accused of spying for China on a $1 million bond — over the strenuous objections of prosecutors who called him a serious flight risk.
“I am prepared to release Mr. Angwang on a $ 1 million bond secured by the family’s residence as well as by all of your signatures,” said Brooklyn federal Judge Lois Bloom, referring to nine of Baimadajie Angwang’s friends and family members who signed the bond. Three of the signatories had served in the Marine Corp. with Angwang.
The judge stayed Angwang’s release to home detention until the end of the day to give Assistant US Attorney Michael Keilty a chance to appeal the bail decision.
Keilty had argued that Angwang could flee more easily than other defendants by strolling into the Chinese consulate in Manhattan.
“All he has to do is go through that tunnel, cross that bridge, walk into one of those buildings and we can never get him again. He’s gone,” the prosecutor said.
The now-suspended Queens cop has been held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in protective custody since he was arrested last month and charged with acting as an agent of a foreign government, obstruction, wire fraud and making false statements.
The judge said that Angwang, who lives on Long Island with his wife and 2-year-old, would be required to wear an ankle monitor and would not be allowed to leave the Eastern District of New York.
She said these were unique circumstances, and it could be years before Angwang goes to trial due to the pandemic-induced backlog of cases.
“This is not a normal time just like this is not a normal case,” the judge said. “And as much as I do credit the government’s concerns, I also know there is a presumption of innocence.”
Following a years-long federal investigation, prosecutors allege the 33-year-old married cop has been feeding information on Tibetans to a contact inside China’s Manhattan consulate since at least 2018.
After Angwang’s arrest, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo exclusively told The Post that China’s New York consulate is being used as a major hub for the Communist nation’s US espionage efforts.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told Fox News that the allegations were “pure fabrication.”
A spokesperson for the Chinese Consulate General also denied that they were engaged in spying and called the claims “vicious slander.”
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article