Vice President Mike Pence said Tuesday there had been no discussion among the coronavirus task force about issuing a national stay-at-home order.

“I can tell you that at no point has the Coronavirus Task Force discussed what some people call a nationwide lockdown. What we’ve done is publish the president’s coronavirus guidelines, 15 days to control the spread,” Pence said from the White House Rose Garden in response to a viewer’s question during a televised Fox News town hall on the worsening pandemic.

But he added, “We want every American to avoid groups of 10, avoid restaurants.”

Pence said he and President Trump, however, do support governors in New York, California and Illinois who have ordered people to self-quarantine with exceptions for food shopping, medical care and other essential purposes.

“As states like California, Illinois and New York have taken strong measures, President Trump and I fully support their decision,” Pence said.

The US is now in day nine of the 15-day effort to control the spread called for by the task force, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that as of noon Tuesday, there were 33,404 total cases in the US and at least 400 deaths — with 100 people dying on Monday, a grim milestone representing the most deaths in a single day since the pandemic struck in the US.

Source: Read Full Article