A ROMANTIC accidentally torched his flat while setting the scene for a marriage proposal.

He left hundreds of tea lights alight in his balloon-filled room as he collected his girlfriend ahead of the big moment.

When the couple reached the flat in Sheffield, fire crews were already on their way.

No one was injured in the blaze on Monday evening — and the girlfriend still accepted her bungling fella’s disastrous marriage proposal.

But South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service shared pics of the gutted room on social media.

It wrote: “This was going to be the scene of a romantic proposal and the occupant had really gone to town.

“As they returned, though, their flat was on fire. The culprit? Yep, you guessed it, the tea lights.

"Fortunately our firefighters dealt with the fire quickly and nobody was injured.

"As a bonus, she said yes!"

Three fire engines attended the blaze in the first floor flat at 8.30pm on Monday.

The fire service added: "As romantic as they are and as much as we all love them, candles can be so dangerous.

"Please, please extinguish them properly when you've done, don't put them near flammable items, like curtains, and don't leave hundreds of tea lights unattended."

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article