Saudi’s foreign minister has said the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was a ‘huge mistake’ but claimed authorities do not know where the body is.
In a Fox News interview, Adel al-Jubeir said Saudis do not know how Khashoggi was killed.
He claimed they want to hold to account those responsible for the killing inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, adding that they are working on finding out where the body is.
Jubeir said conflicting reports of whether the journalist left Istanbul had prompted a Saudi probe and claimed they are "determined to uncover every stone".
The Minister of Foreign Affairs said Saudis will continue to put out information on the death as it becomes available.
He gave condolences to the family of Khashoggi, saying it was a ‘huge and grave mistake’.
The foreign minister promised Khashoggi’s family that those responsible will be punished.
He said: "This is a terrible mistake. This is a terrible tragedy.
"Our condolences go out to them. We feel their pain."
He added: "Unfortunately, a huge and grave mistake was made and I assure them that those responsible will be held accountable for this."
Jubeir told Fox News that Khashoggi was approached by the "Saudi security team" when he entered the consulate and their account of what happened after that differed from that of Turkish officials.
He told: "He was killed in the consulate. We don’t know in terms of details how."
Jubeir was the first senior Saudi official to speak on the record since the Saudis admitted on Saturday that Khashoggi was dead.
The journalist has relatives still living in Saudi Arabia and three children who hold U.S. citizenship.
Saudis have laid out different versions of the circumstances that led to the death of Khashoggi, a Washington
Post columnist and critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman who was not seen after entering the consulate on October 2.
The crown prince has denied any involvement.
Britain, France and Germany earlier issued a joint statement saying “nothing can justify this killing and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms”.
It added: “We take note of the Saudi statement which gives their preliminary findings.
“Yet there remains an urgent need for clarification of exactly what happened on October 2 – beyond the hypotheses that have been raised so far in the Saudi investigation, which need to be backed by facts to be considered credible.
“We thus stress that more efforts are needed and expected towards establishing the truth in a comprehensive, transparent and credible manner.
“We will ultimately make our judgement based on the credibility of the further explanation we receive about what happened and our confidence that such a shameful event cannot and will not ever be repeated.”
Source: Read Full Article