Big Apple food pantry providers are calling on Mayor Bill de Blasio to match the $25 million in emergency funds that Gov. Andrew Cuomo agreed to include for them in the new state budget, saying they’re facing unprecedented demands because of the coronavirus pandemic and also need the city’s help.

“There’s no time to waste,” former Brooklyn Councilman David Greenfield, who is CEO of the Met Council, told The Post on Friday.

“We need this state money immediately to feed people, and we need Mayor de Blasio to support the commitment of [City Council Speaker Corey] Johnson and the Council and match these funds.”

Last week, Johnson and other city lawmakers called on the state and city to both provide $25 million for the struggling pantries.

Nearly one-third of food pantries in the five boroughs have already shut down as they struggle to feed the growing number of New Yorkers left jobless by the COVID-19 bug that has shuttered thousands of businesses.

According to the Met Council, $50 million split by the state and city could pay for more than 19 million meals.

While Albany pols came up with their half, de Blasio has remained mum on whether there will be extra money for the pantries in his new budget.

De Blasio spokeswoman Laura Feyer said the city is “directing resources to feed even more New Yorkers during this crisis, whether through expanded home delivery, grab-and-go meals at school sites, helping New Yorkers sign up for SNAP benefits and more.

“In addition to these efforts, we will continue to support food pantries throughout this crisis with food and staffing needs. We are in constant contact with providers and will make sure they have resources to care for vulnerable New Yorkers in this difficult time.”

Source: Read Full Article