A young girl suffered horror burns when her smartphone fell into the bath while charging and electrocuted her.

The 13-year-old girl screamed out in agony after the phone plunged into the water, sending electrical currents rushing through her body.

Loud screams prompted the Dutch teen's mum to scramble to the bathroom and pull her daughter out of the water and call emergency services.

Arriving on the scene, paramedics punched the girl in the sternum in a successful bid to wake her up, according to an entry in the Journal of Medical Case Reports.

The youngster then spent two days in a Dutch hospital where she received surgery to help heal burns on her hands and stomach.

  • Mum scarred for life in acid attack told 'you're dead' after being targeted again

  • London Euston station evacuated after 'burning smell' on Tube train

Following the unnamed girl's lucky escape, medics at Vrije Universiteit Medical Center in Amsterdam, where she was treated, moved to write about the dangers of using electronic devices near the bath.

"Risks of electrical devices in household use are underestimated," they wrote in the Journal of Medical Case Reports.

"Although products are thoroughly tested and certified, they pose a great danger if used inappropriately.

"A severe electrical burn injury can cause destructive injury with high morbidity, lifelong scars and even death."

  • Iran in flames as rioters clash with armed forces and death toll 'climbs to 27'

Writing in the report, doctors added that growing use of smartphones among young people was making them more prone to shocks.

Medics said the horror nature of the ordeal left the girl unable to remember exactly how she was electrocuted.

They have also theorised that the seriousness of her injuries meant she was electrocuted by a phone connected to the mains supply.

Luckily, the accident was not fatal and the burns on the girl's hands healed after a week of fusidic acid cream treatment.

  • Bungling police chief caught in prostitution sting by his own undercover cops

The oval-shaped burns on her stomach proved harder to treat and had to be surgically rejected three weeks after the accident, the Daily Mirror reports.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to escape with burns, in September this year Russian accountant Evgenia Shulyatyeva died when her phone fell into the bath while charging.

The 26-year-old is thought to have been killed instantly following the tragedy after her phone “slipped” into the water.

Source: Read Full Article