Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that talks with North Korean officials had been “substantive” — and that their meeting went so well, it ended two hours early.
“Substantive talks with the team from #NorthKorea. We discussed our priorities for the potential summit between our leaders,” he tweeted.
Pompeo and top North Korean official Kim Yong Chol concluded two days of talks in New York in advance of the summit, which originally was scheduled for June 12 in Singapore.
President Trump had earlier told reporters the talks were going well and that North Korean officials may come to Washington on Friday with a letter from leader Kim Jong Un.
There was no immediate indication of what that might mean for the planned first summit between the US and North Korea after seven decades of hostility.
“Substantive talks with the team from #NorthKorea,” Pompeo tweeted after the meeting. “We discussed our priorities for the potential summit between our leaders.”
Pompeo met with Kim Yong Chol, one of the North Korean leader’s closest aides, at the apartment residence of the US deputy ambassador to the United Nations in New York.
Kim Yong Chol is the highest-ranking North Korean official to visit the US in 18 years.
He and Pompeo had discussions over a dinner of steak, corn and cheese on Wednesday, Pompeo said in an earlier tweet.
Source: Read Full Article