Victoria has recorded one new case of COVID-19 in hotel quarantine but there have been no new local cases or deaths.

It brings the total number of active coronavirus cases in the state to 10, after 22,956 tests were processed on Tuesday.

It comes as secondary contacts of a 15-year-old Victorian girl who caught COVID-19 while travelling with her family in Sydney’s northern beaches were released from isolation on Tuesday.

Sydney's northern beaches cluster, which spurred the Andrews government to declare Greater Sydney and the NSW Central Coast a "red zone", grew by eight on Tuesday to 91 cases.

Late on Tuesday night, Victoria's health department confirmed all secondary contacts (contacts of close contacts) of the Melbourne teenager had returned negative coronavirus tests.

The girl’s close contacts, including her mother, will quarantine for 14 days and will be retested on day 11. None have so far tested positive for COVID-19.

In more good news, the health department also confirmed there were no exposure sites in the state linked to the case after checking the family's mobile phone data.

According to NSW authorities, the family dined at Oliver's Real Food Outlet at Gundagai, about 180km north of the Victorian border, before they crossed the border on Friday, December 18. They did not stop anywhere else before returning to their Melbourne home in the Moonee Valley local government area.

The girl was tested on Sunday, December 20, and is not believed to have left her home on Saturday, December 19.

As Victoria tightened its borders with NSW this week, 17 people, including a family of five, were transferred to hotel quarantine on Monday after they arrived on flights from Sydney.

"That is 17 people who will be spending their Christmas and their new year, not as they planned, but in hotel quarantining circumstances," Mr Foley said on Tuesday.

"So, my message to anyone trying to enter Victoria from New South Wales is – don't. You won't get in, and if you do, you'll be spending your time at Christmas and New Year in hotel quarantine."

There are 300 people in Victoria who visited exposure locations in NSW and are now in isolation. Victorian authorities expect that number to grow.

The number of exposure sites linked to NSW's northern beaches cluster grew by 50 yesterday to almost 130 across the state.

Virus experts have told The Age that Victoria should consider reopening its border to Sydneysiders before New Year’s Eve if the number of new coronavirus cases in NSW continues to fall, but any move to relax restrictions by Christmas would come too soon.

While all 91 cases in NSW since Thursday have been linked to a known source, it emerged on Tuesday that the virus had been transmitted between two diners on Tuesday, December 15, at a pub in Sydney’s inner west – about 25 kilometres south of the northern beaches where the outbreak began.

With Michael Fowler

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in National

Source: Read Full Article