For information on the third coronavirus relief package, please visit our “American Rescue Plan: What Does it Mean for You and a Third Stimulus Check” blog post.

The Child and Dependent Care Credit provides a tax break for many parents who are responsible for the cost of childcare. Though the credit is geared toward working parents or guardians, taxpayers who were full-time students or who were unemployed for part of the year may also qualify.

If you paid a daycare center, babysitter, summer camp, or other care provider to care for a qualifying child under age 13 or a disabled dependent of any age, you may qualify for a tax credit on your 2020 taxes of:

  • up to 35% of qualifying expenses of $3,000 ($1,050) for one child or dependent, or

  • up to $6,000 ($2,100) for two or more children or dependents.

Credit increased for Tax Year 2021 Only
The American Rescue Plan signed into law on March 11, 2021 brought significant changes to the amount and way that the child and dependent care tax credit can be claimed only for tax year 2021. The new law not only increases the credit, but also the amount of taxpayers that will benefit from the credit’s highest rate and it also makes it fully refundable. This means that, unlike previous years, you can still get the credit even if you don’t owe taxes.Changes to the Child and Dependent Care Credit that apply only for tax year 2021 (the taxes you file in 2022) include:The highest credit percentage increased from 35% to 50% of qualifying expenses
Qualifying child and dependent care expenses increased from $3,000 to $8,000 for one qualifying person and from $6,000 to $16,000 for two or more qualifying individuals
The adjusted gross income (AGI) level at which the credit percentage is reduced has been increased from $15,000 to $125,000 for 2021
For example, previous to tax year 2021 a taxpayer with one qualifying person, $3,000 in qualifying expenses and an AGI of $60,000 would qualify for a nonrefundable credit of approximately $600 (20% x $3,000). By contrast, under the new law for tax year 2021 only, a taxpayer with the same circumstances can potentially claim a refundable credit of approximately $1,500 (50% x $3,000).For 2021, the credit phases out as your adjusted gross income (AGI) increases past $125,000. For income levels:$125,001 and $183,000 the credit percentage is phased out from 50% to 20%
$183,001 to $400,000 the credit percentage remains at 20%
$400,001 to $438,000 the credit percentage is phased out from 20% to 0%
The credit percentage is completely phased out to zero for families with AGIs of $438,000 or more.Also for tax year 2021, the maximum amount that can be contributed to a dependent care flexible spending account and the amount of tax-free employer-provided dependent care benefits is increased from $5,000 to $10,500.Although this new provision only applies to tax year 2021 (the taxes you file in 2022), it can significantly improve your tax return’s bottom line if you’re a working parent responsible for the cost of your dependents child care.

Purpose of the child and dependent care credit

The child and dependent care credit is designed to assist working parents and guardians with some of the expenses involved in raising a child or caring for a disabled dependent. The credit,

  • Varies, depending on the taxpayer's earned income,

  • Is based on the expenses paid to provide child or dependent care services so that parents can work, and

  • Reduces the amount of federal income taxes due, which can in turn increase your refund. This frees up more money for some of the other expenses involved in raising a child.

Qualifications for the child and dependent care credit
You must meet several criteria to qualify for the child and dependent care credit. To qualify, you must meet all of the following:You (and your spouse, if you are married filing jointly) must have earned income for the tax year.
You must be the custodial parent or main caretaker of the child or dependent.
The child or dependent care service must have been used so that you could work or look for employment.
Your filing status must be single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a qualifying child, or married filing jointly.
Your child or dependent must be under 13 but there is no age requirement if they are disabled and physically or mentally incapable of caring for themself.
The childcare provider cannot be your spouse or dependent or the child's parent.

Qualifying expenses for the child and dependent care credit
You may be aware that daycare fees qualify for the child and dependent care credit, but the IRS actually considers much more than just the cost of daycare for this credit. Qualifying expenses also include:Childcare provided by a babysitter or licensed dependent care center.
The cost of a cook, housekeeper, maid, or cleaning person who provides care for the child or dependent.
Day camp or summer camp fees, even for camps centered around a sport or activity, qualify if the camp was selected to provide care while the parent or parents were at work. However, overnight camps do not qualify.
Costs related to before- and after-school care for children under 13.
Costs related to a nurse, home care provider, or other care provider for a disabled dependent.
Keep in mind that expenses related to schooling, tutoring, or overnight camps are not qualifying expenses.

Special circumstances
Since every family is different, the IRS has a series of exceptions to the rules in the qualification process. These exceptions allow a greater number of families to take advantage of the credit.For divorced or separated parents, the custodial parent (the parent with whom the child resides for the most nights out of the year) can claim the credit even if the other parent has the right to claim the child as a dependent due to the divorce or separation agreement.
You can take the credit for the care of a disabled adult even if you cannot claim her as a dependent because she has too much gross income or because you or your spouse can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
If your spouse is a disabled adult, the IRS waives the requirement for him to have earned income.
If your spouse was a full-time student who attended college for at least five months out of the tax year, the IRS considers her to have earned income for each month that she was a full-time student.
Remember, with TurboTax, we'll ask you simple questions about your life and help you fill out all the right tax forms. Whether you have a simple or complex tax situation, we've got you covered. Feel confident doing your own taxes.For more tax tips in 5 minutes or less, subscribe to the Turbo Tips podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and iHeartRadio Brought to you by

Source: Read Full Article