The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
Prince Harry has complained about the harassment he and his wife Meghan Markle received on social media.
The Duke of Sussex was interviewed by Fast Company for an article published on Friday, January 22.
In it, Prince Harry claims he and Meghan received the "mothership of all harassment" on social media when they got married and has called for reforms to stop it from happening to others.
The couple reportedly stepped back from using platforms such as Facebook and Twitter because of the "almost unsurvivable" amount of abuse they receive.
It has previously been reported that the couple, who share son Archie, won't even use social media to promote their non-profit Archewell and instead want to focus on their "progressive role" in the US.
And now, asked how his outlook on social media reform was affected by the "well-documented online harassment you and your wife have faced in the UK", Prince Harry replied: "I was really surprised to witness how my story had been told one way, my wife’s story had been told one way, and then our union sparked something that made the telling of that story very different.
"That false narrative became the mothership for all of the harassment you’re referring to. It wouldn’t have even begun had our story just been told truthfully.
Prince Harry spotted at President Joe Biden's inauguration – in a painting on the wall
"But the important thing about what we experienced is that it led to us hearing from so many others around the world. We’ve thought a lot about those in much more vulnerable positions than us, and how much of a need there is for real empathy and support.
"To their own degree, everyone has been deeply affected by the current consequences of the digital space. It could be as individual as seeing a loved one go down the path of radicalisation or as collective as seeing the science behind the climate crisis denied.
"We are all vulnerable to it, which is why I don’t see it as a tech issue, or a political issue—it’s a humanitarian issue.
The Queen doesn't expect palace staff to 'drop everything' for her, author claims
"From an early age, the guiding principle in my life has been about the duty to truth, the pursuit of compassion, and the alleviation of suffering. My life has always been about trying to do my part to help those who need it most, and right now, we need this change—because it touches nearly every single thing we do or are exposed to."
The Duke added he had spent 2020 "consulting the experts about it" and that he and Meghan now want to "accelerate the pace of change in the digital world".
Prince Harry said: "I know enough to know that I certainly don’t know everything, especially when it comes to tech—but when you see this as a humanitarian issue, then you see the spread of misinformation as requiring a humanitarian response.
"This is why my wife and I spent much of 2020 consulting the experts and learning directly from academics, advocates, and policymakers.
"We’ve also been listening with empathy to people who have stories to share—including people who have been deeply affected by misinformation and those who grew up as digital natives.
"What we hope to do is continue to be a spotlight for their perspectives, and focus on harnessing their experience and energy to accelerate the pace of change in the digital world."
He added: "I believe we can begin to make our digital world healthier, more compassionate, more inclusive, and trustworthy.
"And it’s time to move from rethinking to remodelling."
- Meghan Markle
- Prince Harry
Source: Read Full Article