Kelis slams Beyonce, The Neptunes, for allegedly not clearing sample of her 1999 single for use
Beyonce thanked the family members, friends, fans and cultural “pioneers” who helped inspire “Renaissance” in a sweet open letter on Thursday, July 28, ahead of the new album’s Friday release. But one artist whose work also helped inspire Bey’s new music has accused the star of “theft.” On Wednesday, a fan page for “Milkshake” singer Kelis excitedly shared on Instagram that Bey’s new track “Energy” features a Kelis sample. (The bit in question comes from Kelis’ 1999 single “Get Along With You,” which TMZ reports appeared in album credits that were leaked earlier this week. Other versions of the credits that surfaced online ahead of the album’s official release reportedly only featured the names of “Get Along With You” producers Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo of The Neptunes.) Credits aside, when Kelis weighed in on the thread via her @bountyandfull account, she said she was irked by the entire situation, claiming this was the first she’d heard of Beyonce using the track at all. “It’s not a collab, it’s theft,” she wrote in the comments. She went on to say she was never contacted for music clearance by Beyonce, Pharell or Chad before the sample purportedly landed on Bey’s new album. “My mind is blown too because the level of disrespect and utter ignorance of all three parties involved is astounding,” she wrote. “I heard about this the same way everyone else did. Nothing is ever as it seems …some of the people in this business have no soul or integrity and they have everyone fooled.” Her comments left fans arguing amongst themselves over who was in the right, with some saying Kelis wasn’t credited on her 1999 recording — just The Neptunes — giving her no real sway in the argument. Othersslammed Beyonce. Some fans, meanwhile, simply said they were thrilled to see the singers’ music being combined. “Renaissance” is out Friday.
Keep reading for more news …
RELATED: Take a look back at the craziest celebrity conspiracy theories in pop culture history
Britney Spears’ father loses bid to have singer deposed in ongoing battle over conservatorship finances
Britney Spears scored another legal victory against her father, Jamie Spears, this week, when Judge Brenda Penny denied his motion to have her sit for a deposition, according to Variety. Britney, 40, has been battling her father and former conservator over legal fees and other costs stemming from the 13-year conservatorship Jamie put her under in 2008. In her ruling on Wednesday, July 27, the Los Angeles-based probate judge said “a deposition would not be likely to produce information relevant to the remaining issues in the case,” Variety reported. Judge Penny ordered Jamie to be deposed on July 13, amid claims from Britney’s lawyer Mathew Rosengart that he’s dodged deposition requests for the better part of a year. Jamie’s legal team wants Britney’s estate to cover the costs of “ongoing fiduciary duties relating to the winding up of the Conservatorship,” according to documents filed in December. Britney’s lawyer, meanwhile, has publicly accused Jamie of exploiting Britney by mishandling her finances and violating her privacy under the conservatorship. “Whether he accepts it or not, his daughter feels traumatized by what she went through at his hands for more than a decade,” Mathew said at the hearing. Jamie’s lawyer, Alex Weingarten, said his client “did right by his daughter,” and claimed “the conservatorship was for her benefit,” predicting, “The truth will come out.” Jamie was suspended from his role in the conservatorship last fall, two months before the arrangement was terminated altogether.
RELATED: Madonna, Drew, Selena and more celebs attend Britney Spears and Sam Asghari’s wedding
Joy Behar says she was ‘glad to be fired’ from ‘The View’ in 2013: ‘I was sick of the show’
When “The View” fired co-hosts Joy Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck in 2013, Elisabeth reportedly cried, while Joy volunteered to skedaddle that very day, according to Ramin Setoodeh, author of the 2018 “View” tell-all, “Ladies Who Punch.” In a new interview with Time, Joy, one of the show’s original hosts, says she was, in fact, quite happy to leave the show, though she’d return two years later. “I was glad to be fired,” says the 79-year-old former comic. “I basically was sick of the show at that point for some reason, I don’t even remember why.” While Meghan McCain has blamed her departure from the show on Joy, specifically, but also on the mistreatment she says she faced from her co-hosts, Sunny Hostin believes Joy’s refusal to take anything personally explains why she’s managed to stick it out for more than two decades on the famously argument-heavy series. “She doesn’t hold a grudge,” Sunny tells Time. “I think because she doesn’t remember what happened the day before. … That’s how she’s been able to deal with this show. She just leaves it at the table and then moves on for another day.” As of May, Joy’s slated to “move on” at “The View” table for another three years, having signed a rumored $3 million contract to renew her deal just a few months before her 80th birthday in October. Beyond that, she seems not to care much whether she’s invited back or not. I’m sort of on extra time now,” Joy explains. “I don’t have to work. I don’t have to be on television. I don’t have to have the microphone. They want to give it to me, I’ll take it.” Looking ahead, Joy, Sunny and and their colleagues Whoopi Goldberg and Sara Haines will likely be joined by Meghan McCain’s rumored conservative replacement, Alyssa Farah Griffin.
Shia LaBeouf’s first film since FKA Twigs alleged he abused her slated to premiere in Venice
Shia LaBeouf is returning to theaters for the first time since he put his career on hold in 2020 amid allegations he sexually and physically abused singer FKA Twigs when they were dating. “Padre Pio,” which stars Shia in the titular role as the real-life controversial Italian monk who was eventually recognized as a saint by the Catholic Church. Directed by Abel Ferrara, whose gritty classic “Bad Lieutenant” also generated controversy in its day, “Padre Pio” is slated to premiere at the Venice Film Festival’s Venice Days when it kicks off in Italy on Aug. 31. According to Variety, there’s been no word yet on whether Shia will promote the film alongside his co-stars when it screens. FKA Twigs filed suit against Shia in December 2020 on grounds of sexual battery, assault and emotional distress. Though Shia denied his ex’s allegations, he initially said in a statement that he was “sorry” for having been abusive to himself and the people around him for years.
Bruce Springsteen’s team defends ‘fair’ Ticketmaster prices despite $1k-$5k price tags
For much of the past week, Bruce Springsteen’s fans have shared horror stories on social media about trying to buy tickets for his upcoming tour, only to find Ticketmaster either booted them out of an hours-long line to buy seats — or were suddenly offering tickets from $1,000 to $5,000. That’s thanks to Ticketmaster’s “demand-driven dynamic pricing system,” according to New York Times, which recently checked in with The Boss’ longtime manager about the surge of fan complaints. “In pricing tickets for this tour, we looked carefully at what our peers have been doing,” Jon Landau said in a statement. “We chose prices that are lower than some and on par with others. Regardless of the commentary about a modest number of tickets costing $1,000 or more, our true average ticket price has been in the mid-$200 range,” Jon explained. “I believe that in today’s environment, that is a fair price to see someone universally regarded as among the very greatest artists of his generation,” he added. According to the Times, his guess appears to be on target; as of Tuesday, July 26, some 90,000 people were in the Ticketmaster queue for tickets to Bruce’s show in Philadelphia.
Source: Read Full Article