Saturday Kitchen: Matt Tebbutt asks ‘can we finish early?’
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
BBC Saturday Kitchen presenter Matt Tabbutt, 47, has discussed what it was like filming during the coronavirus pandemic last year. Speaking exclusively to Express.co.uk, the chef addressed the “eerie” scenes he came face to face with, while travelling into the capital to film for his daily cooking show.
Everything’s shut and you get to London and it’s a ghost town
While many live TV shows ground to a halt during the pandemic, Matt recalled that for him, filming continued as usual.
He said on his weekly weekend favourite: “I was fortunate to carry on working, so that was good, we carried on doing Saturday Kitchen.”
The chef also started filming Daily Kitchen Live alongside journalist and author of Cooking On A Bootstrap, Jack Monroe.
“We also did a two week every day show,” he added.
Daily Kitchen Live aimed to equip viewers to “tool themselves up with the knowledge they need to adapt to the challenges of isolation,” by cooking “wholesome and accessible meals” with staple ingredients.
He addressed his experience travelling from his home in Wales to the BBC studios in London to shoot.
Matt said: “It was really odd travelling because I had to drive myself from Wales to London and the motorways were dead.
“Everything’s shut and you get to London and it’s a ghost town, and all you could hear was ambulances throughout the night, it was really eerie,” he added.
The star said that the BBC show helped to give people a sense of “normality” during the coronavirus pandemic.
“The BBC wanted some sense of normality, to keep that live thing so we could react to news, people could email in and what have you,” he explained.
Matt continued: “It was a great unknown actually when you look back at it, it was a time where there was a run on supermarkets and people weren’t getting food.
“There were people who were locked in their house and couldn’t get out, they were relying on food drops, so it was an unusual time but it was good to keep working,” he penned.
“There was a definite sense of the unknown about it, for sure,” the presenter confirmed.
In 2017 Matt was announced as replacement presenter for James Martin on Saturday Kitchen.
James quit after hosting it for over a decade and now fronts James Martin’s Saturday Morning on ITV.
Later this year Matt will be making an appearance at the food festival Pub in the Park.
The event is being held between June and September across eight UK locations.
The festival will feature stunning pubs and restaurants from the UK’s best loved chefs as well as a selection of live music.
Matt will be appearing at the ultimate foodie festival at Dulwich Park on June 25-27, alongside Monica Galetti, Atul Kochhar and more.
Visit here for more information and to book tickets.
Source: Read Full Article