A photographer's terrifying close up of a tiny insect has been compared with an image from a "horror movie".
With Halloween just around the corner you would be forgiven for thinking this was a poster for a new horror movie being cued up for an October 31 release.
What you are in fact looking at, however, is a scarily close photo of a real ant's face which was submitted to Nikon's 2022 Small World photography competition.
READ MORE: Giraffe tramples baby girl to death and leaves mum fighting for her life
The shocking shot, taken by Dr. Eugenijus Kavaliauskas, gets up so close to the critter that it reveals everything from skin bumps, to the hairs on its chin.
It's zoomed in so close that we don't actually see the ant's eyes, instead the red dots that look like its eyes are part of the ant's antennae, which gives it a much more menacing appearance.
If you like what you see, Dr Kavaliauskas' own website features even more jaw-dropping snaps of creepy crawlies, like you have never seen before.
Surprisingly his image didn't win, although it was praised among the Images of Distinction, but the photo did manage to grab the attention of people online.
"Image from a horror movie? Nope," one commented
"That’s the very real face of an ant. An ant. Now you have to think about that all night."
Another said: "aw come on!!! how am i supposed to sleep now."
While a third admitted: "I feel sick."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Rottweiler battles sex-mad 6ft kangaroo for 45mins and survives it trying to drown him
- Climber fights off monster bear with bare hands in terrifying real-life Revenant moment
- Mysterious 'black lump' spotted in Loch Ness in sixth monster 'sighting' in 2022
- UK super-rats becoming resistant to poison and Brits will need to 'live with them'
- Zombie mushroom that kills insects could help fight cancer, bombshell study finds
Source: Read Full Article