A YOUNG boy is fighting for his life after a lawn mower threw a piece of steel into the back of his head while he was playing in a school field

Alex Hook, 6, is in a medically-induced coma after sustaining severe brain damage from the 12-inch-long piece of metal.

Mom and dad, Caryn and Kirbey Hook are worried sick for their little boy who has now been unconscious since the incident on September 10.

Alex's aunt, Michelle Koertgen, 55, set up a fundraiser to help with medical costs and care for his brother Nathan, 10, who has special needs.

Caryn, 49, said: "When I arrived at the hospital the emergency room team were prepping him for the scan.

"He was already sedated and had several machines hooked up.

"I kept telling myself that I must be having a nightmare because that can't be my beautiful boy.

"It feels like the hands of Father time have stopped.

"Every day that goes by we thank the Lord that Alex is still with us and fighting for his life."

The family said a landscaper was mowing the grass on a strip of land just behind Riverview Elementary in Silver Lake, Wisconsin, where the children were playing.

At about 11.30am, the mower ran over a waste piece of rebar and it was projected out through a chain link fence that surrounded the school grounds and towards the kids.

The metal projectile, believed to be 12 inches long and half an inch wide, struck first-grader Alex, who was bending down at the time, in the back of his head.

He was knocked unconscious and started to have seizures.

Every day that goes by we thank the Lord that Alex is still with us and fighting for his life

The school contacted mom Caryn and the emergency services to inform them of the freak accident.

The mom-of-two said: "I was in total shock but composed myself immediately and rushed to the school.

"I had no idea the severity of his injury until I saw him on the ground bleeding from his head and convulsing.

"I really don't know what prevented me from fainting."

The boy was airlifted to the Children's Hospital of Milwaukee while paramedics tried to stabilise him.

When he arrived, he was taken for a CT scan where he was found to have a fractured skull, and that a piece had broken off and lodged into his brain causing a bleed.

He was taken for emergency surgery to remove the largest fragment, as well as removing some healthy skull to relieve some pressure.


The little boy remains in a medically induced coma as a bacterial infection causes a spike in his fever and puts dangerous pressure on his brain whenever he is weaned off.

Caryn, who works for a pharmaceutical company, said: "The doctors said the first 72 hours were critical, but here we are a week later and he's still in critical condition.

"While sitting vigil at his bedside, when possible, I read aloud the thousands of comments and prayers people are writing on the Facebook support page.

"I hope he can hear me, so he knows how many people love him and are praying for a complete recovery.

"Don't let a day go by without hugging and telling your children you love them – life can change in the blink of an eye."

Contributions towards Alex's medical costs can be made here.

Sales director Michelle said: "The family is trying to stay positive despite the constant medical setbacks.

"We are literally on an emotional rollercoaster.

"It is heart-breaking to see this beautiful boy non-responsive and hooked up to so many machines.

"The outpouring of love, prayers, positive thoughts and donations have been incredible and greatly appreciated."

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article