Company director attacked 13-year-old boy and stamped on his mother’s face because the youth tore down his patriotic St George’s flag decorations to mark VE Day

  • Andrew Morris, 44, kicked down a toilet door before attacking the teenage boy 
  • Company director also knocked his mother to the floor and stamped on her face
  • She required stitches after he left her with blood ‘dripping from her head’ 
  • Morris was given a suspended sentence at Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday

A company director attacked a 13-year-old boy and stamped on his mother’s face because the teenager tore down his patriotic St George’s flag decorations he had erected to commemorate VE Day.

Andrew Morris, 44, grabbed the boy as he cowered in a bathroom before ripping a mobile phone out his hand and dragging him along the floor at their Greater Manchester home on May 9 last year.

The graphic design expert, who had been drinking heavily, then brutally beat up the boy’s mother by knocking her to the floor and stamping on her neck and face. 

She was left ‘dripping in blood’ and later required eight stitches to a cut on top of her head, further stitches for a 4cm laceration to the back of her head and significant bruising to her right arm.

Morris appeared at Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday to be sentenced having earlier pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, common assault and criminal damage.

He was sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years.

Andrew Morris, 44, pictured outside Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday. He was handed a suspended sentence after pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, common assault and criminal damage

Morris, a company director, admitted he had been drinking heavily when he attacked a 13-year-old boy and his mother

The court heard that the incident took place 24 hours after the 75th anniversary of VE Day last year – marking the unconditional surrender of Germany and the end of World War Two.

Charlotte Rimmer, prosecuting, told the court: ‘The boy ripped down VE Day Bunting Union Flags, which the defendant had helped put up outside her home the day before to celebrate the event.

‘The defendant was upset by his behaviour had an argument with the boy’s mother called her son “a little c***” and said his behaviour was disrespectful.

‘He left the property but later came back, smelling heavily of drink. The mother spoke to the defendant and asked him to leave and offered to drive him somewhere. But he then became aggressive and then began to cry.

‘He then pushed her to the shoulders causing her to fall to the floor. The next thing she remembers is being on the floor with the defendant’s foot striking her to the back of her head. The defendant stamped on her neck and to the right side of her face.’

The court heard the mother, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, screamed for her son to lock himself in the bathroom and to call police.

However, as the boy did so, Morris kicked the door down and ripped the phone from his hand.

She described seeing her son being thrown to the floor before managing to grab a drunk Morris as he fell down the stairs.

Morris, of Heaviley, Stockport, eventually slumped out of the property. 

Morris pictured outside court in a suit with a cigarette in hand. He has also been ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and was made subject to a restraining order from the mother and son

Morris became furious after the boy threw a tantrum and tore down VE day decorations, the court heard

A neighbour described the mother and son as ‘very upset, crying and shaking’.

Morris was arrested at his father’s property the following day. 

Rachel Shenton, defending Morris, said in mitigation that he ‘fully accepts this was wholly unacceptable violence which should never have happened’.

She added that he had ‘expressed remorse’ by writing ‘heartfelt’ letters and Morris is ‘a good man who did a bad thing on one occasion’. 

Passing sentence, Mr Recorder Carwyn Cox said: ‘The ripping down of the bunting was the trigger for all this but on that evening, you were out of control, you completely lost all common sense which you usually have.

‘It was a terrifying incident for anyone let alone a young 13-year-old boy but I accept this was wholly out of character and that it was a one off event. You are remorseful and you have taken some steps to address your behaviour.’

On top of the suspended prison sentence, Morris has also been ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and was banned from contacting the mother and son indefinitely under the terms of a restraining order. 

Source: Read Full Article