Dallas boy dies ten days after being crushed at Astroworld: Nine-year-old becomes youngest of ten victims of festival crowd surge
- Ezra Blount, 9, of Dallas, Texas, was declared dead on Sunday – 10 days after he was put in a medically-induced coma
- He was reportedly a big fan of Travis Scott’s music and was sitting on his father’s shoulders when the countdown to Scott’s performance began on November 5
- His father, Treston Blount, said he thought it would be calmer near the back of the crowd
- When Scott came on stage, Treston said, people started pushing and he lost consciousness, and Ezra fell to the ground and was trampled on
- By the time he regained consciousness he said he could not find Ezra
- After he filed a police report, an officer told him his son was at the hospital
- He suffered from severe damage to his brain, kidney, and liver
- Ezra’s family is now filing a lawsuit against Travis Scott and Live Nation
- They are seeking at least $1 million in damages
- Houston police are continuing to investigate the deadly crowd surge
- Footage obtained by TMZ shows police recording the concert after it was declared a mass-casualty event
- Scott has agreed to pay for the victims’ funeral expenses
A nine-year-old boy on Sunday became the latest fatality in a deadly crowd surge during a Travis Scott performance at the Astroworld music festival in Houston.
Ezra Blount, of Dallas, Texas, was reportedly a big fan of rapper Travis Scott’s music, and was sitting on his father’s shoulders when the countdown to Scott’s performance began at NRG Park on November 5.
The pair stayed near the back of the crowd because his father, Treston Blount, thought it would be calmer, he previously told ABC 13.
But as soon as Scott took the stage, Treston said, people started pushing.
He lost consciousness and Ezra fell to the ground, and was soon trampled on by eager concert-goers.
Ezra Blount, 9, of Dallas, Texas, became the latest fatality in a deadly crowd surge during a Travis Scott performance at the Astroworld music festival in Houston on Sunday – 10 days after he was put in a medically-induced coma
He was attending the Travis Scott concert with his father, Treston Blount, left
When Treston regained consciousness, he said, he could not find Ezra anywhere, and rushed to the on-site medic tents and several hospitals.
Eventually, he said, he filed a police report, and received a message from an officer with a picture of his boy.
When he got to the hospital, he discovered his son incurred severe damage to his brain, kidney, and liver after being ‘kicked, stepped on, and trampled, and nearly crushed to death,’ according to a lawsuit his family has filed against Scott and the event´s organizer, Live Nation.
The Blount family is seeking at least $1 million in damages.
In a statement, the family’s lawyer, Ben Crump, said that he was ‘committed to seeking answers and justice’ on behalf of the family.
‘The Blount family tonight is grieving the incomprehensible loss of their precious young son,’ Crump said. ‘This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, what should have been a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking.’
With Ezra’s death, the death toll stemming from the crowd surge rose to 10 people.
Blount incurred severe damage to his brain, kidney, and liver after being ‘kicked, stepped on, and trampled, and nearly crushed to death’
His family is seeking at least $1 million in damages from Scott and Live Nation. Blount is pictured here in February 2018 with his mother, Tamara.
The dead ranged from 9 to 27 years old. Hundreds more were injured.
City officials are investigating what caused the pandemonium at the sold-out event attended by about 50,000 fans.
On Wednesday, Houston’s police chief blamed Travis Scott for not pulling the plug on the deadly Astroworld concert as new footage showed cops casually filming the Travis Scott show nearly 30 minutes after a mass casualty event was declared.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner refused to provide a timeline for the police response after a sizable group pushed toward the stage at NRG Park.
When asked about the timing of the police response after it became apparent things had become dangerous, Finner said the police department was still in the early stages of its investigation and that he was ‘not gonna discuss timelines.’
At least two Houston Police Department cops were spotted holding their phones up and filming at Travis Scott’s deadly Astroworld gig 30 minutes after it was declared a mass-casualty event
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner (pictured) held a press conference on Wednesday and offered updates on the investigation into the deadly Astroworld concert
Ten people died and hundreds more were injured at last Friday’s Astroworld concert in Houston after a sizable group of the 50,000 in attendance pushed toward the stage
Video and photos obtained by TMZ shows members of the Houston Police Department calmly walking around and even pulling out their cellphones to record Scott’s performance after the Fire Chief declared a ‘mass casualty event’ at 9:38 pm.
A set of photos with the time stamps 9:57 pm shows police officers recording the rappers performance, 19 minutes after the chief’s declaration, TMZ reported.
TMZ also obtained video of officers casually strolling past the stage shot at 10:02 pm, 25 minutes after the mass casualty declaration.
When asked about how the concert came to an end, and why Scott was able to complete his set, the chief said investigators are still looking into the specifics during a press conference Wednesday.
‘I don’t know, and that’s part of the investigation,’ he told reporters, adding ‘We’ve been looking and the timelines have moved and that’s why we shouldn’t jump ahead of things, lets just wait. that’s part of the investigation.’
Finner, who said he did not have a close relationship with Scott and had only met him twice, said whether or not the show went on was not up to the police department.
‘Authorities ability to end the show – we don’t hold the plug, okay? But it’s always in a plan, there’s always discussion of how that would happen and we had those discussions with the promoters,’ Finner said.
‘The ultimate authority to end the show is with production and the entertainer,’ he added.
Scott has been widely criticized for continuing to play on for 38 minutes after Houston PD declared a mass casualty incident and for attending a party with fellow rapper Drake in the hours after the tragedy.
But Scott’s lawyer Ed McPherson told DailyMail.com that the rapper did pause the show when he spotted fans in trouble and was wearing an earpiece during the gig which limited what he could hear.
McPherson also revealed Scott was not allowed to stop the show himself due to a security protocol that put the decision in the hands of the producers. He said that when told to stop, he did.
McPherson said: ‘There’s very little that you can see [from the stage]. You’re up there to perform. Your job is to entertain the crowd and get the crowd going.
‘You can’t see these things [crowd trouble]. You certainly can’t hear anything. This was in the middle of the night and that compounds things on stage. All you see is black in front of you.’
An ambulance is seen in the crowd during the Astroworld music festival as Scott’s performance reportedly continued
Police are still trying to determine whether any of the deaths occurred because of the surge or if other factors later came into play, such as accidental fatal overdoses, a source close to the investigation told the Wall Street Journal.
There were 300 people were injured in the crush, including 11 who went into cardiac arrest and dozens more who were knocked unconscious.
Scott released a statement in the aftermath of the tragedy in which he said he was ‘absolutely devastated’ by the loss of life.
The Houston native went on: ‘My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at the Astroworld Festival.
‘Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life.
‘I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need.’
He has since offered to pay the cost of the victim’s funerals and has set up a counseling service for fans affected by the tragedy.
Source: Read Full Article