HUW Edwards was already being investigated by BBC journalists before the alleged sex pic scandal, it has been claimed.
The veteran newsreader, 61, was last night named by his wife as the star accused of sending more than £35,000 to a youngster since they were 17.
Her statement came after The Sun revealed claims from the parents of the youngster who allege their child had sent sexual photos to Edwards.
This was the first of five public allegations the 61-year-old was faced with.
But insiders have now claimed that the BBC had been working on a story about Edwards' inappropriate behaviour since before that initial story was published last week.
Two BBC sources told Deadline that Newsnight presenter Victoria Derbyshire had been looking into the issue for “a while” and had contacted multiple individuals regarding rumors about Edwards’ alleged behavior.
Read more on UK news
Huw Edwards named as BBC star in ‘sex pics scandal’ by wife in statement
Inside the life of BBC news presenter and royal correspondent Huw Edwards
A third BBC source said that Derbyshire had a conversation with one individual.
Other BBC insiders told Deadline it is unusual for one news presenter to proactively look into a fellow BBC News presenter.
The Sun has approached the BBC for comment.
News of the BBC examining accusations about Edwards’ conduct comes after Newsnight broadcasted its findings on Wednesday night.
Most read in The Sun
Football star, 20, found dead at home as tributes flood in for 'amazing' player
Alison Hammond breaks silence on ‘strained’ relationship withDermot O’Leary
Gladiators legend Jet reveals she's marrying a woman she met at the supermarket
Heart-stopping moment passenger plane breaks in TWO after skidding off runway
The Newsnight report was revealed just hours after Edwards was named as the presenter who had been suspended by the BBC after five days in which his identity was kept out of mainstream media reporting.
The BBC revealed that Edwards faced more allegations of inappropriate behaviour — this time towards his junior TV colleagues.
Presenter Victoria Derbyshire tweeted that Edwards was “facing further allegations this evening of inappropriate conduct being reported by BBC News & #Newsnight”.
The BBC confirmed that it was pressing ahead with an investigation into serious allegations against the star, including payment of thousands of pounds to a vulnerable youngster with a spiralling drug addiction.
The decision came after police said yesterday they had found no evidence Edwards had committed a criminal offence.
Last night his wife Vicky Flind released a statement announcing he was accused.
She said her husband was now receiving “in-patient hospital care” after suffering a “serious episode”.
The mum told how it had been “five extremely difficult days for our family”.
Mrs Flind wrote of her husband: “I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental wellbeing and to protect our children. Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues.
“As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.
“The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters. He has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving inpatient hospital care where he’ll stay for the foreseeable future.”
Mrs Flind said the father of five would respond to the claims “once well enough to do so”.
Huw's wife released the statement days after The Sun first revealed claims from a youngster's parents on Friday.
Via a legal letter given to the BBC and broadcast on Monday, the youngster insisted nothing "unlawful” or “inappropriate” had happened between them and the presenter.
The parents of the youngster then told how they had spoken out to protect their child.
They stood by their allegation that the top BBC star paid their child thousands.
The mum said: “It is sad but we stand by our account and we hope they get the help they need.
“We did this to help – and the presenter has got into their head. How did they afford a lawyer?
Read More on The Sun
Our seaside paradise is being trashed by tourists…it’s turning into Benidorm
I’m a discount devil and here’s the six things never to buy from M&S
“We are so sad.”
The step-father added: “We are disappointed they made a statement. It’s not true.”
Source: Read Full Article