A man had had to call for help after failing to remove an iguana from his toilet for several days.

Kurt Hilberth, from Florida, US, had the fright of his life when he went to the bathroom to brush his teeth on July 24.

"It was so big that it was not submerged completely in the water, and it’s got that tail that whips back and forth," he told NBC WIS10.

In the video he shared on Facebook, Kurt lifts up the toilet lid and the four-legged creature makes a quick move in the water before he puts the lid back down.

The father tried to "fish" the Mexican lizard out of the bowl but unsuccessful.

Frustrated by the failed attempt, Kurt decided to call in an expert to trap the creature in a bid to take the family out of misery.

Harold Rondan from Iguana Lifestyles arrived at the HIlberth family's house and put on a full set of protective gear – helmet, gloves, face mask, waterproof boots and long-sleeved jacket.

The family put up a makeshift shield using card boxes to stop the iguana from running into other area of the house in case it came out of the toilet bowl.

Harold tries to catch the animal by the tail but it keeps swimming back down, eluding capture.

At one point, he breaks its tail and leaves a stick in the toilet bowl, waiting it to climb on it.

Eventually the trapper takes it out and brings it to safety.

Kurt said it was "creepy" thinking about what could have happened had someone not noticed the iguana in the middle of the night and sat down to use the toilet.

He said: "Something big, something with teeth, something that can bite you down there is really a shivering kind of thought.

"You’re at a very vulnerable point."

Expert Ron Magill from Zoo Miami advised people who find an iguana in their home to call the experts as he warned that iguanas, with their claws, teeth and spiky tails, can carry disease.

He commented: "The spiny-tailed iguana does tend to be more aggressive. It’s quicker to bite, should it be handled.

"All iguanas carry a variety of bacteria. The things they’re most famous for are salmonella and botulism."

Source: Read Full Article