A HORRIFIC mass poisoning at a vacation resort has sickened at least 24 people ill, with 10 of them hospitalized and four are in critical condition, police say.

The carbon monoxide leaked into a hotel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas on Saturday, which left more than two dozen people injured, according to cops.


Ten people were hospitalized and four had to be airlifted out of the Stonegate Lodge, according to the officials.

The Eureka Springs Fire Department responded to a call from the hotel just before 7am on Saturday, according to KY3.

The cause of the leak at the Stonegate Lodge is still being determined, but the fire marshal is working with Black Hills energy to investigate.

Gary Inman, Assistant Chief of Eureka Springs Fire Department, told KY3 "we flew some of the patients [out]."

Read more in tourist horror

New York sees FIFTH shark attack in two weeks as tourist and lifeguard are bitten

"Some facilities have hyperbolic chambers that can purge the body of the carbon monoxide quicker than then it would just happen naturally," he added.

Inman was shocked by this accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

”It’s very unusual because most gas-related systems are very safe and reliable.

"It’s nothing to fool around with and it can be very dangerous," he said.

Most read in The Sun

BOY OH BOY

I won Love Island but what happened on last night’s show wasn’t normal

KEEPING COOL

Woman shares easy hack to cool your house during the heatwave

'save her'

Love Island fans beg Michael Owen to intervene after Luca’s behaviour to Gemma

SHOW-STOPPER

My boobs stole the show at my son’s party, trolls say my dress was indecent

The owner of the lodge refused to speak with reporters on camera until the investigation had concluded. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control,  at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning each year.

Fifty thousand people in the United States visit emergency rooms for treatment after being accidentally poisoned, each year. 

Symptoms of poisoning include a headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, according to the CDC.

The agency recommends people take the following steps to prevent  carbon monoxide exposure in their home:

Make sure to get a carbon monoxide detector and change its batteries every six months.

Don't forget to service your heating system, water heater, and other gas oil or coal appliances each year.

Ensuring your vents and flues don't have any debris is a must-have.

Read More On The Sun

Errol Musk’s ‘been asked to donate sperm to create new generation of Elons’

Horror details after man breaks into home ‘to perform surgery on family’

Remember to never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gas-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window or door, and never in a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open.

Lastly, do not run a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside.

    Source: Read Full Article