A SHELL-SHOCKED mother who almost lost her son when he filled up a bath tub and fell asleep in it urged parents to 'lock away plugs' and buy sensors.

Aussie mum Illi is not taking second chances on her children's safety after her tot son nearly drowned to death when he fell asleep in a bath tub full of water at 4am one morning.

"Obviously there’s been a lock put on the bathroom door now and the plug is also in a locked cupboard," Illi said.

"I have purchased an alarm sensor to put on his door."

Illi shared the traumatic story of her toddler Archie's nighttime antics – saying she was only alerted by her heroic four-year-old who woke and heard his brother.

"At 4am our four-year-old son came running down to our bedroom shouting that his brother was in the bath and needed urgent help," she wrote online.

"We found our cheeky, adventurous two-year-old in the bath fully clothed with nappy and everything on.

"He had pulled up a stool to climb in (he's never climbed in on his own before), put the plug in, turned the tap on and the bath was overflowing and the bathroom was flooding."

To her horror, Illi realised her son had been attempting to get out for a while but he had grown tired.

She said finding him on his knees falling asleep in the water was "the scariest part" and "something I feel deeply traumatised by".

"I just can’t believe what a close call this was."

"I'm so incredibly grateful my four-year-old woke up as we would never have heard (our room is at the other end of the house) our four-year-old is such a heavy sleeper too so it’s honestly a miracle he woke up," she continued.

Little Archie was checked over by medics and he is "absolutely fine", his mum said, although she is well aware if her eldest son had woken a few minutes later, it could be a very different story.

"Obviously there’s been a lock put on the bathroom door now and the plug is also in a locked cupboard," Illi said. "I have purchased an alarm sensor to put on his door."

She has since shared her story in a mum's group where shocked parents admitted it was a danger they had never considered.

"I hope this story can educate other parents because honestly I consider myself to be REALLY on top of child safety, every effort is taken to ensure the safety of our kids at all times but I honestly just never thought of locking away the plug," the post read.

It has since been shared hundreds of times in a bid to circulate the message to parents across the globe.

One commented: "I can only imagine how distressing this must have been. Thank you for the wake up call. 5 kids in and I've never thought about this. Our plug will be finding a new home."

"Wow !!!! Removing the stool from our bathroom as we speak. Thanks for sharing this scary but real story," another said.

Others praised her four-year-old's "quick-thinking" with user's dubbing him an "amazing little human" and a "hero".

    Source: Read Full Article