For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
Several new coronavirus exposure sites across Melbourne have been added to the official list including a busy service station and takeaway food outlets.
The government added 18 new tier 2 sites on Monday night, including the petrol station on the West Gate Freeway in Port Melbourne, southbound.
The United petrol station in Port Melbourne, on the way out of Melbourne towards Geelong.Credit:Joe Armao
The new sites, which also include restaurants in Coburg, Glenroy and the city and a supermarket in Southbank, took the number of sites on the list back past 300 after more than 50 listings were removed on Monday afternoon.
A trip on the number 19 tram through the city on Thursday, June 3 is included, as well as various fast food and convenience store outlets across a range of suburbs, mostly in Melbourne’s north and west.
The additions include a Subway and McDonald’s in Campbellfield visited on June 3, a Red Rooster in Pascoe Vale and a McDonald’s in Flemington visited on May 30, and two 7-Elevens, one in Maribyrnong on June 4 and the other in Yarraville on June 3.
A positive case also visited a busy fuel station on the West Gate Freeway in Port Melbourne on June 4.
The tier 2 category means people who were at the site at the same time as someone with COVID-19 needs to isolate until they test negative for the virus.
The additional sites can be viewed at the Department of Health’s website and have been added to The Age’s map of official exposure sites.
Another case of COVID-19 was reported at North Melbourne Primary School on Monday. The Department of Health is investigating if the person was infectious when they attended the large state school.
The school has been closed since last Wednesday. Two grade 5 students, a prep student and a grade 5 teacher have tested positive to the Delta strain of the coronavirus.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the virus had spread between the two grade 5 students, who were in the same classroom, then to their teacher, and among the students’ and teacher’s families.
The removal of outdated sites was flagged by Professor Sutton at Monday’s press conference when he announced that more than 1000 primary close contacts had been released from isolation after completing 14 days of isolation and a negative day-13 COVID-19 test.
The jump in the number of exposure sites came as Australia’s medical regulator confirmed it was considering whether to allow children from the age of 12 to be vaccinated with Pfizer and after Victoria recorded 11 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, three of them children linked to the Delta strain behind a growing West Melbourne cluster.
Experts said the fact that all 11 new infections were linked to known cases, many of whom had been in isolation while infectious and therefore giving rise to only a few new exposure sites, went some way to allaying concerns that Melbourne’s lockdown could extend beyond Thursday.
Stay across the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the Coronavirus Update. Sign up for the weekly newsletter.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article