Pets killed by fireworks: Distressing images show spooked pony which died after running in front of a car as owner reveals her greyhound, six, died of a heart attack when it was spooked by noisy display

  • WARNING: DISTRESSING CONTENT
  • Eighteen-month-old Archer bolted from Hamsphire field ahead of Bonfire Night
  • New Forest pony jumped over a gate and ran directly into an oncoming vehicle 
  • A harrowing image shows Archer’s lifeless body lying out on the back of a trailer
  • It comes as a dog owner reveals her greyhound died from suspected heart attack

These distressing images show a pony that was spooked by fireworks and killed after running in front of a car ahead of Bonfire Night.

Eighteen-month-old Archer bolted from his field in Marchwood, Hampshire, on Thursday when fireworks started being let off. 

The New Forest pony was so petrified by the loud bangs that he jumped over a gate and ran directly into an oncoming vehicle. He died at the scene.  

A harrowing image shows Archer’s lifeless body lying out on the back of a trailer, while another shows him with a blue cover over his head and torso.

They come as a dog owner reveals her six-year-old greyhound died of a suspected heart attack when he was scared by the fireworks display on November 5.

Kayleigh Coates, 36, said Tiger had been inconsolable as the noise from the celebrations rang out throughout the evening.

The two deaths have come to light after two spooked canines – a 10-year-old Staffy Labrador cross and a one-year-old Lhassa Apso – collapsed and died in recent days. 

Warning: Distressing content

A harrowing image shows 18-month-old Archer’s lifeless body lying out on the back of a trailer after he bolted from his field in Hampshire on Thursday when fireworks started being let off

Another image shows the New Forest pony with a blue cover over his head and torso. He was so petrified by the loud bangs that he jumped over a gate and ran directly into an oncoming car

It comes as a dog owner reveals her six-year-old greyhound Tiger (pictured above) died of a suspected heart attack when he was scared by the fireworks display on November 5

Pony owner Claire Willard posted about the incident concerning Archer on Friday in a bid to raise awareness for the distress fireworks can cause animals.

She wrote: ‘This is heartbreaking for me to write but there is one less pony in my life today. Last night I got that call that all horse owners dread. 

‘The one that tells you your horse is dead. Unfortunately my little black cute dude got so spooked by fireworks last night that he jumped out of the field, skid marks suggest he jumped the gate.

‘Someone stopped and put hazards on and tried to calm Archer. Another car came past, overtaking the car with their hazards on and at the same time another firework went off scaring Archer right into the path of the car.

‘He was hit head first and the car was a write off. So I got to see my pony, lifted onto a flatbed trailer. He left a pool of blood on the road.

‘So this morning Archer was taken away. I have some of his tail hair as a keepsake.’

Pony owner Claire Willard posted about the incident concerning Archer (both pictured) on Friday in a bid to raise awareness for the distress fireworks can cause animals

She wrote: ‘This is heartbreaking for me to write but there is one less pony in my life today. Last night I got that call that all horse owners dread’ (Archer pictured)

Kayleigh Coates (above), 36, from the Rock in Telford, Shropshire, spoke out about her dog Tiger passing away after being spooked by the fireworks display

Pedigree Exmoor pony dies after a rocket firework is ‘deliberately set off’ on her grazing ground

Juliet Burnet, 56, with her granddaughter and three of her ponies

The owner of a pedigree Exmoor pony is in ‘total shock’ following its death after a rocket firework was deliberately set off where she grazed.

Terrified Swift and four other free roaming ponies ‘lost the plot’ and galloped into the middle of Danebury Hill Fort, near Stockbridge.

Swift, 14, who weighed 12 stone 3 lbs- then ‘fell off the top’ and died from a suspected broken neck.

Yesterday distraught owner grandmother Juliet Burnet, 56, stressed: ‘Fireworks are banned there – they are not allowed.

The rockets which were ‘deliberately’ set off in the field where the ponies grazed

‘I am totally shocked. It is a devastating loss.

‘It is so tragic – my son found her dead.

‘Fireworks had deliberately been set off in the field where they grazed.

‘The ponies lost the plot and they galloped into the middle of the fort. She fell off the top and broke her neck.

‘I found on the floor a lighter next to a rocket that had been set off.’ 

The four other ponies are now to be moved to a secret location.   

She added: ‘I am hoping that maybe some of you will think before buying fireworks. Maybe go for the silent ones or failing that go to an organised display. 

‘Fireworks and animals do not mix well.’ 

Meanwhile Ms Coates, from the Rock in Telford, Shropshire, spoke out about her dog Tiger passing away after being spooked by the fireworks display.

She said: ‘Friday night I was with the dogs because the girls were out with their dad and Tiger was completely paralysed. 

‘He was shaking, he did not know what to do with himself, he wouldn’t eat.

‘I was just sat watching TV because the more you fuss the worse they become. He was lying behind the sofa and just scratching a lot. 

‘I took a phone call from a family member and when I turned round to look at him he was flat out at the back of the sofa and he’d just gone.

‘My first thought was he had a fit because he was dribbling but as far as we can tell he had a heart attack.’

Elsewhere, other pet owners have revealed how their dogs bolted and went missing for 36 hours – with one even running into the sea and swimming for nearly ten miles in Whitstable, Kent to get away from the noise. 

The nine-year-old Japanese Akita called Bam was found exhausted, shivering and bedraggled in Whitstable, Kent, after swimming in panic from Leysdown-on-Sea on the Kent coast.

His owners said he’d run into the cold sea terrified of the loud bangs.

In Newquay, the owners of an Akita Shepherd cross named Edward are rejoicing after their five-year-old dog was found after a gruelling 36-hour search.

He ran off when fireworks made a loud bang on Bonfire Night and it was feared the pooch had plunged to his death over a 100ft seaside cliff – but miraculously he was found at the end of Newquay headland a day and a half later.

Owner Kelly Broderick was relieved her precious pet had come home alive.

She said people searched along the clifftop coastal path from Towan to Crantock in Cornwall and scoured the nearby golf course and the River Gannel.

She said: ‘He suffers from a cruciate injury to his leg and the speed he was last seen running in terror would have put a lot of pressure on it.’

Appeals posted on social media were shared, liked and commented on thousands of times. A £500 reward was offered for his safe return.

Following around 36 hours of searches he was found at the end of Newquay headland.

He was tired, sore and hungry but is relaxed and happy to be back home.

Meanwhile, dog owner Jeff Hull said he was heartbroken after his beloved pet’s sudden death.

He said that Ollie was so petrified of the loud bangs that he suffered a seizure on October 31, which caused the one-year-old Lhassa Apso to have a massive heart attack, resulting in his heart stopping.

Dog owner Jeff Hull said he was heartbroken after his beloved pet’s sudden death. He said that Ollie (above) was so petrified of the loud bangs that he suffered a seizure on October 31

Dexter (pictured), 10, a Staffy Labrador cross, was found ‘laid flat on the floor’ in the downstairs bathroom after running scared from noisy fireworks during Bonfire Night

Bam the dog is also recovering after his astonished owners say the bang of fireworks saw him plunge into the sea and swim in terror for nearly ten miles

Another family put up a £500 reward after Edward the dog was terrified by fireworks and ran off. They have since been reunited with him after a frantic 36-hour hunt 

The beloved pooch, who suffered from epilepsy, had been running around and happily playing with his ball just hours before the incident.

A Staffy Labrador cross was also ‘terrified’ by the noise and collapsed on a bathroom floor in Hemlington, North Yorkshire amidst a chorus of fireworks on Bonfire Night.

Tragically, the beloved canine called Dexter died despite his owner’s attempts to perform CPR and to resuscitate him via mouth to mouth.

Ahead of Bonfire Night last week, the RSCPA said: ‘In the last five years, we’ve received 1,621 calls about fireworks and their effects on animals.’

A study by the charity in 2019 found that 62 per cent of dogs, 54 per cent of cats and 55 per cent of horses suffer from stress during fireworks.

Some believe unorganised displays should be banned due to distress it causes some animals as well as people who suffer with certain conditions such as PTSD or autism.

A petition calling for an urgent review of fireworks regulations has attracted 902,500 signatures.

Source: Read Full Article