THE son of an OAP builder appeared in court for the first time today charged with murder after the body of his dad was discovered at his home.

Courtnay Bamford was arrested by detectives investigating the killing of 77-year-old John Bamford at his home in Wendover, Bucks., on Tuesday.

Today the 36-year-old son appeared at Oxford Magistrates' Court for his first hearing before magistrates Mrs Kay Whitaker and Mrs Carole Payne remanded him straight into custody. 

Bamford Jnr was arrested after the body of his dad was found at his semi-detached home in Aylesbury Road, Wendover.

Following the grim discovery, an air ambulance rushed to his home – landing in a nearby park – but their best efforts to revive him proved unsuccessful. 

The 77-year-old, who had suffered serious injuries after an alleged skirmish in the back garden of his home, died at the scene.

Bamford Jnr will next appear at Reading Crown Court on Monday in front of a judge.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police Major Crime Team said last night: "A man has been charged in connection with a murder investigation in Wendover.

"Officers were called at about 5.25pm on Tuesday following reports of an assault at a property in Aylesbury Road.

"Sadly, a 77-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene. Today Courtnay Bamford, aged 36 years, of Griffin Lane, Aylesbury, has been charged with one count of murder.

"He has been remanded in custody to appear at Oxford Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

"Although formal identification has not yet taken place, Thames Valley Police, as well as the victim’s family, is satisfied that the man who died at the scene is John Bamford, aged 77 years."

Recalling the ordeal one neighbour said: “All hell broke loose. I counted seven police cars, two ambulances and the air ambulance.

“They were working on him in the house for a couple and that is where he died.”

Another neighbour who also asked not to be named, said: "Whenever we saw [the victim] he was always walking his dog.

"He was a lovely man who had lived here for about 16 years.

"Last night we heard a lot of angry shouting coming from the back garden of the house. It was obvious that someone was extremely angry and was shouting a lot.

"There were about eight or nine police cars which suddenly converged on the road, along with an ambulance and then an air ambulance landed.

"I have no idea what the argument was about but it is very sad that someone has lost their life.

"There were police everywhere, it was chaos here last night."

Source: Read Full Article