Terrifying moment hoverboard EXPLODES in front of two young children and sends flaming shrapnel flying in Utah home

  • A security camera filmed the incident at Tamilisa Miner’s home in Lehi on June 17
  • The mother is seen batting smoke away from the hoverboard as her young son and daughter watch from a few feet away 
  • Both children scurry past the hoverboard before it suddenly burst into flames
  • Miner said the incident almost set her house on fire but her children were thankfully left unharmed and nothing was severely damaged
  • She explained that she accidentally left the hoverboard charging for too long 
  • The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has investigated more than 250 hoverboards catching fire or overheating since 2105

Terrifying video captured the moment a hoverboard exploded in front of two young children and sent flaming shrapnel flying around their living room in Utah.     

A security camera filmed the incident at Tamilisa Miner’s home in Lehi on June 17, showing her batting smoke away from the hoverboard after it overheated in her hallway.

Miner’s young son and daughter watch from several feet away and then scurry right past the hoverboard before it suddenly bursts into flames.  

Miner told ABC4Utah that while the incident almost set her house on fire, her children were thankfully left unharmed and nothing was severely damaged. 

Scroll down for video 

Terrifying video captured the moment a hoverboard exploded in front of Tamilisa Miner and her two young children and sent flaming shrapnel flying around their living room in Utah 

A security camera filmed the incident at Miner’s home in Lehi on June 17, showing her batting smoke away from the hoverboard after it overheated in her hallway 

‘My son saw huge billowing electrical smoke and said: “Mom my hoverboard. Something is wrong with my hoverboard,”‘ Miner said. 

‘Moment to moment was really scary. I just say: “Okay get out.” 

‘I knew it was going to blow. I knew it, and they ran out. They did it. They ran right out but as my son ran past (click) boom, and I’m grateful he is ok.’

The next day, Miner shared the terrifying experience in a Facebook post with a warning to other parents.  

‘Battery cells shot out like shrapnel starting smaller fires,’ Miner wrote. 

‘Then the kids’ chair caught fire, the kitchen rug, and my panicked mind didn’t know when to stop and give up, or to keep fighting. ‘ 


Miner said that while the incident almost set her house on fire, her children were thankfully left unharmed and nothing was severely damaged

Miner explained the incident occurred after she left the hoverboard charging for too long 

Miner said her husband rushed in to extinguish the flames. Pictured: The socket where the hoverboard had been charging when it exploded 

Miner explained the incident occurred after she left the hoverboard charging for too long. 

She wrote that her husband, Craig, swiftly rushed in and helped put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. 

‘I didn’t even think about grabbing one of our fire extinguishers until Craig rushed in with one!’ Miner added in her post.  

‘We are extremely lucky that we were awake (barely), that Craig had returned home at 4am from a trip and was late for leaving to work this morning.’

Miner said nothing was severely damaged, apart from her son’s chair (pictured) and the rug

Miner posted this photo of the hoverboard’s charred remains on Facebook 

‘Everyone is a little shaken up but fine,’ Miner wrote. ‘We are extremely grateful for our safety, great family and neighbors, insurance, our home, and the incredible timing. 

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has investigated more than 250 hoverboards catching fire or overheating since 2105.

‘There have been at least 99 incident reports of the battery packs in self-balancing scooters/hoverboards overheating, sparking, smoking, catching fire and/or exploding,’ the CPSC said, ‘including reports of burn injuries and property damage.’

As a result, more than 500,000 hoverboards have been recalled because of the risk of fire or explosion.

Source: Read Full Article