Warning for pet owners as dog nearly dies from eating hot cross bun – grapes, currants and sultanas can be poisonous for pooches, vets warn
- Bernese Mountain Dog Hattie wolfed down the Easter treat behind owner’s back
- Read: English Pointer Pip still needs a home after going into RSPCA care in 2020
Vets have issued an urgent warning after a dog almost died from eating a hot cross bun.
Hattie the Bernese Mountain Dog sneakily grabbed the Easter snack after owner Paul Beckwith went to get some butter.
When he turned his back he saw the bun in Hattie’s mouth and rushed over to yank it out. But the five-month-old pooch had wolfed it down in just two bites.
The traditional Easter bake can be fatal for dogs because raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic for them.
Hattie was then rushed to the vets where she was given an injection to make her throw up – minimising the fatal risk.
Hattie the Bernese Mountain Dog (pictured) sneakily grabbed a hot cross bun after owner Paul Beckwith went to get some butter
The traditional Easter bake can be fatal for dogs because raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic for them
Mr Beckwith, a civil servant from Witham, Essex, said: ‘I hadn’t realised how high she could reach.
‘Hattie hadn’t really taken things before.
‘I knew how dangerous it could be as one of my niece’s dogs ate some raisins a couple of years back and it was touch and go whether it was going to live.
‘That was partly because it hadn’t been spotted quickly, so I was thinking the worst and I knew I had to act fast.
‘When I phoned the vet, we were told we didn’t have long and to get her in straight away.’
The warning comes as millions of Brits plan to tuck into hot cross buns over the Easter bank holiday.
Veterinary group Vets Now said it had seen a 262% increase in hot cross bun ingestion cases from last year.
Dave Leicester, Vets Now’s head of telehealth, said: ‘All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs.
Hattie (pictured here as a puppy) was rushed to the vets where she was given an injection to make her throw up. She luckily returned home the same day
‘And potentially poisonous to cats, and the dried versions of the fruits are more frequently associated with severe symptoms.
‘Recent research has suggested that it may be tartaric acid that causes the toxic effect.
‘More research is needed before we can confidently provide a toxic dose, not least because the tartaric acid content of grapes and raisins is highly variable.
‘Just one grape, raisin, currant or sultana can be toxic so real caution should be taken with foods that contain them.’
Paul was thankfully able to take Hattie home the same evening.
He added: ‘She was pretty sorry for herself when she came out, but she was back to herself the following day.
‘There’s absolutely no way we’ll be having hot cross buns anywhere within reach and I’d definitely advise other owners to be really careful.’
Source: Read Full Article