Get the best celeb gossip with the Daily Star Showbiz newsletter

We have more newsletters

Chris Rock reportedly turned down a presenting role at next year’s Oscars ceremony.

The comedian, 57, performed at a stand-up gig in Arizona’s Financial Theatre on Sunday (August 28) when he revealed that he declined the opportunity to host the awards show again.

Chris made the alleged claim five months after being infamously slapped at this year’s event by Will Smith following a joke about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.

READ MORE: Jada Pinkett Smith breaks silence on Chris Rock's Oscars swipe after Will Smith slap

In March, Will, 53, stormed the stage and smacked the comedian in the face in front of many star-studded guests and millions of viewers.

According to the Arizona Republic, Chris told fans at his Phoenix stand-up gig of the Academy’s approach to him being a possible host.

Chris, who previously hosted the Oscars in 2005 and 2016, allegedly said returning to the award ceremony would be like returning to a crime scene.

He made light-heart of the incident and teased how making a return to one of the biggest nights in Hollywood would be like asking Nicole Brown Simpson “to go back to the restaurant,” referencing the events that led to her death and the subsequent OJ Simpson murder trial.

The Grown Ups actor also informed that he was asked to do a Super Bowl commercial following the slap, which he also rejected.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

During his show in Arizona, Chris was prompted by an audience member to “talk about it” (Will Smith’s slap), to which Chris confessed that the situation “hurt” him.

After the incident, Will was banned from The Academy and all its events for 10 years.

Will previously shared his apology video on his Instagram, where he apologised to the comedian for his actions during the event.

During the clip, he stated that he had been aware of his fans’ reactions to the incident at the Oscars ceremony.

He said: “Chris, I apologise to you. My behaviour was unacceptable, and I’m here whenever you are ready to talk."

Will then expressed that he was personally affected by the public’s reaction to his past actions.

“Disappointing people is my central trauma. I hate when I let people down, so it hurts,” he said.

READ NEXT:

  • Chris Rock jokes he's got 'most of his 'hearing' back after Oscars row with Will Smith
  • Chris Rock in brutal swipe at Will Smith after man attacks Dave Chappelle on stage
  • Jada Pinkett Smith drops podcast trailer after Will Smith's Chris Rock Oscars slap
  • Will Smith smacks Chris Rock and yells 'keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth'

  • The Oscars

Source: Read Full Article