Want all the hottest soap gossip? Share your email to get news, interviews, spoilers and more from the Daily Star
Former Coronation Street star Craig Charles has revealed how his entire family's lives were saved over Christmas by a smoke alarm.
Speaking on the Craig Charles early afternoon playlist on BBC 6 Music today (31 December), Craig, 57, told listeners he wanted to share something that had been on his mind throughout the show.
"Last night or early this morning my life got saved by a smoke alarm. In fact my whole family’s life got saved by a smoke alarm, so be careful with your candles.
"In my dream someone had left the fridge door open and when the fridge door is open for too long it starts beeping and that’s why I was kicking off in my dream.
Corrie Tina O'Brien's life – co-star romance, racy lads' mags past and ITV soap exit
"Then I heard one of my daughters shouting ‘Dad, Dad, the smoke alarm is going off’.
“We got up, we went down and we have like a garland above the mantlepiece of twigs and berries and holly and a candle, I think it’s probably me who should of blown the candle out, I’m not sure but I’m taking the blame anyway, had set fire to the garland which had set fire to the wallpaper on the fireplace.
Craig went on to say that the plastic frame on an oval leather mirror has stretched due to the heat in the room.
"There was smoke everywhere," he added.
Corrie star Craig Charles' son put on oxygen as he's rushed to hospital with Covid-19
"So we got buckets of water and put it all out but five more minutes and it would have really of taken hold."
Craig added that the living room ceiling is black with soot and the room smells of acrid plastic smoke.
"So get yourself a smoke alarm and be careful with your candles," he pleaded.
Craig finished with: "I’m glad I got that off my chest. It has been on mind all day. It was so frightening. Well done to Nellie and AJ for raising the alarm."
Hollyoaks fans will recognise Maxine's dad Dave as Emmerdale killer Cameron
Craig also took to Twitter, saying "My daughter AJ has managed to turn our house fire the other night into a work of art. Still feel incredibly lucky."
The tweet was accompanied by a photo of charred Christmas decorations.
Fans and friends were relieved by Craig's lucky escape.
"Oh God Craig! The alternative doesn't bear thinking about. Big midnight hugs all round. Happy New Year to you all x" said one.
Another wrote: "Hope you and the family are ok Craig. Your daughter is quite talented btw!!! Awooga!!!"
The fire incident follows the hospitalisation earlier this month of Craig's son Jack, 32, with Covid.
Craig himself battled the virus earlier this year.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Coronation Street
Source: Read Full Article