Jay-Z took the witness stand in Manhattan Supreme Court on Friday to testify about perfume. The 51-year-old rapper is being sued by Parlux Fragrances, which has accused the star of failing to properly promote his Gold Jay-Z cologne line.

Parlux filed a breach of contract suit in 2016, claiming Jay-Z had earned $2 million in royalties but the company had lost $18 million in the collaboration. In a sworn statement the following year, Parlux alleged that the rapper was supposed to do a series of events to push Gold — via Good Morning America, Women’s Wear Daily, and an in-store appearance at Macy’s — but that he “never once personally appeared.”

“In the fragrance industry, it is virtually impossible to sustain the success of a celebrity fragrance brand,” the lawsuit claimed, unless the brand is bolstered by “promotional support from the celebrity in the form of public appearances” in addition to “regularly updating and refreshing the brand with ‘flanker’ launches and new line extensions.”

Adding insult to alleged injury, the fragrance company said the rapper rejected a design for a Gold Jay-Z bottle with an 18-karat gold exterior that was worth over $20,000, but that he pocketed the prototype.

Jay-Z promptly countersued. He accused Parlux of failing to hold up its end of the deal, furnishing him with inadequate accounting reports and promotional resources, among other things. Notably, he said the company still owed him $2.7 million in royalties.

The rapper appeared for a video deposition earlier in the case. Judge Andrew Borrok said Jay-Z should appear “the old-fashioned way,” according to The New York Post.

This story is developing

Source: Read Full Article