Piers Morgan has expressed his condolences following the murder of MP Sir David Amess earlier today [October 15].

The former Good Morning Britain anchor revealed he was left "sickened" following the news that Sir David had been stabbed to death while meeting constituents in a church.

Sir David, 69, represented Southend West in Essex and was meeting his constituents in Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex when an attacker allegedly stormed in and stabbed him "multiple times".

It was later confirmed that the Conservative minister died inside the church from his injuries.

Taking to Twitter to share his thoughts, Piers, 56, said: "Absolutely sickened by the brutal, senseless murder of another British MP."

He went on to add: "Sir David Amess was a thoroughly decent hard-working man who dedicated his life to public service.

"My deepest condolences to his poor wife and five children. RIP."

At a press conference, Chief Constable of Essex Police Ben-Julian Harrington said: "At just after midday today, Essex Police were called to reports of a stabbing in Eastwood Road North, Leigh-on-Sea.

"The response of the emergency services to this incident was immediate and our officers arrived on scene within minutes.

"When they arrived they found Sir David Amess MP, who had suffered multiple injuries."

His statement added: "This was a difficult incident, but our officers and paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service worked extremely hard to save Sir David.

"Tragically he died at the scene. A 25-year-old man was arrested immediately at the scene on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody. A knife was also recovered at the scene.

"The investigation is in its very early stages and is being led by officers from the specialist counter-terrorism command."

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that Home Secretary Priti Patel has called upon "all police forces to review security arrangements for MPs with immediate effect and will provide updates in due course".

Witness Anthony Finch described the chaos that unfolded in the wake of the horrifying event.

"When I was crossing the road I saw an upset lady on the phone saying 'you need to arrive quickly, he's still in the building,'" he told Sky News.

"I went into the client's house… came back out and there were loads of armed police, overhead there was an air ambulance as well as a police helicopter. Obviously wondered what the hell was going on, you don't often see armed police around the local area.

"I saw the suspect get put into a police van, get taken away and then they cordoned the whole road and pushed us all down the road."

Essex police urged anybody who has information or any CCTV/dashcam footage to contact them, quoting incident 445 of 15 October.

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article