Get quick and easy recipes straight to your inbox
A dental nurse has said he 'freaked out' and worried he'd eaten eggs after finding a hungry caterpillar crawling out of his breakfast.
Grant Robinson, 31, bought the BLT sandwich from the Tesco branch at Westbourne, Bournemouth, while on the way to his job at a dental practice.
Having already eaten one of the pack, he was about to bite into another when he discovered the live green insect creeping out of the corner of the sandwich and across the bread.
The healthcare worker later released the multi-legged bug into a garden after bringing it his nurse colleagues, who "gathered around" to see the unexpected visitor.
He then threw the sandwich away.
Mr Robinson told the Bournemouth Echo that he was disappointed with the way Tesco handled the affair, saying: “I contacted Tesco via email and Twitter about it and got responses which I feel lacked sincerity. They apologised and gave me a £5 voucher as a goodwill gesture but that’s not the point".
When he went back to the shop speak with the manager directly, he was told that there was not anyone available to discuss the incident with him, while supermarket staff present offered their apologies.
The caterpillar mishap has left him concerned over Tesco's food hygiene and safety standards, and Mr Robinson added: “I think Tesco need to really watch their food processing as that could make someone very ill."
Man left 'disgusted' after spotting hungry birds pecking McDonald's buns in drive-thru
"On Twitter, I saw a lady who found a large moth in a fruit salad, so this isn’t something out of the ordinary."
“It’s a really bizarre situation and Tesco need to be more aware and pay attention to detail.”
A Tesco spokesperson responded: “We’re sorry this happened and take every effort to minimise the risk of insects in our lettuce. We offered this customer a full refund for the item and a gesture of good will as an apology.”
Back in 2015, a patron at Ed's Easy Diner in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear said it felt like "something from a nightmare" after finding he was sharing his burger with a large caterpillar.
Unlike Mr Robinson, however, the unlucky customer had already taken a large bite out of the meal when he made the grisly discovery. He vowed never to return, despite being offered a full £50 voucher.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article