It was supposed to act as a 'guide for humanity', created by those fearing the end of the world was nigh.

But all the Georgia Guidestones monument ever did was stir up wild conspiracies.

And after giving rise to such explosive claims in its 40 years, it was perhaps fitting that it was finally blown up in a bombing, presumably by those who believed one of the theories about what it stood for.

READ MORE: 'UFO appears on new US intelligence agency logo' as alien fans sent into orbit

Consisting of six huge granite monoliths arranged in a star formation, the 19ft monument was dubbed 'American Stonehenge.

It was erected in Elbert County, Georgia, in 1980, by a person using the alias of R.C. Christian, and it was "sponsored by a group of Americans who seek the Age of Reason."

The enormous monument was inscribed with 10 'guiding' messages in eight different languages, including Hebrew, English, Russian, Spanish and Swahili.

One message read: “Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts,” while another said: “Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.”

Another read: “Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature.”

Those behind the monument apparently feared an upcoming, nuclear, or economic calamity.

But before it was even open, it attracted controversy, with some claiming it had links to satanism.

A local pastor professed his belief that the stones were built for the purpose of devil worship and a cult.

Another conspiracy claimed it had ties to the 'New World Order' conspiracy theory that believes in the existence of a secretly emerging totalitarian world government.

Aother theory suggested the stones contained instructions on how to depopulate Planet Earth.

One inscriptions read: “Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.”

In 2008, the monument was defaced, with graffiti that read "death to the New World Order" daubed in red paint.

Security cameras were installed on the site after the stones were targeted again in 2014.

Sadly, the monument had to be demolished for safety reasons after it had been damaged in a bomb blast on June 6 earlier this year, leaving ones of the slabs in pieces.

Georgia governor candidate Kandiss Taylor had previously called for it to be removed.

A few hours after the explosion, she said: “God is God all by Himself. He can do ANYTHING He wants to do.

"That includes striking down Satanic Guidestones."

This isn’t the last the world will see of the stone, though, as Elberton Mayor Daniel Graves plans to rebuild the monument, although that could take as long as a year.

Following the attack, the Elbert Chamber of Commerce released a statement, saying: "Over the years, the Guidestones have created lots of discussions and brought visitors to Elbert County from all over the world.

“Whatever your personal opinion on the Guidestones is, this attack is bad for our community. We hope that whoever is responsible is apprehended and brought to justice.”

READ NEXT:

  • 'Time traveller' claims 'real-life purge' will start around the world next year
  • NASA smashed spaceship into asteroid to 'practice for rocks that could destroy Earth'
  • Every black hole 'is a gateway to another universe' and we could be living in one

Source: Read Full Article