CITY breaks are a great alternative if you don't want to go away for a week-long holiday.
And luckily, we have plenty of hotspots to visit just a couple of hours away from the UK.
If you're after a bargain break, the Post Office’s annual Cost Barometer named Lisbon as the best-value city to visit in 2023.
Lisbon surpassed every city in Eastern Europe, historically holding the top spots in the barometer.
As four Western European cities joined Lisbon, Porto, and Lille to overcome the dominance of Eastern cities in the top 10, Athens fell from first to fourth.
According to the Post Office Travel Money statistics, accommodation in the Portuguese capital should cost around £121 per couple for a weekend.
read more travel deals
How to get 2-4-1 tickets at Alton Towers this summer
Croatia still has cheap package holidays this summer if you know where to look
Alcohol is relatively cheap too, with a glass of wine costing £3.07 and beers costing £2.26.
And three-course meals with a bottle of house wine should set you back an average of £39.01.
For instance, three-night stays at the Hi Lisbon – Pousada de Juventude cost from £156pp on a bed & breakfast basis in September.
Here are some more deals we've found to visit Lisbon:
Most read in City breaks
Cheapest UK cottage hols to book this summer in seaside & countryside locations
Disneyland Paris has 2-night breaks this Christmas from £289pp – with park entry
Best budget-friendly Liverpool hotels on TripAdvisor – from £14pp a night
Premier Inn has family rooms from £11pp a night this summer & kids eat free
- 3 nights room-only at V Dinastia in Lisbon, Portugal – from £186pp
- 3 nights b&b at WOT New Lisbon – Hostel in Lisbon, Portugal – from £199pp
In addition, the survey examined the price of 11 common purchases and activities, such as soft drinks, travel cards, and sightseeing excursions.
So we've rounded up the best deals in the best-value destinations to visit under £200pp:
The Sun is giving away FREE foreign holidays – here's how to win one
- 3 nights room-only at Metropolo by Golden Tulip in Krakow, Poland – from £132pp
- 3 nights b&b at Hotel Castrum Villae in Porto, Portugal – from £140pp
- 3 nights room-only at David Boutique Hotel in Krakow, Poland – from £140pp
- 3 nights room-only at Hospedería Santa Cruz in San Lorenzo Del Escorial, Spain – from £154pp
- 3 nights room-only at ibis Madrid Fuenlabrada in Fuenlabrada, Spain – from £158pp
- 3 nights room-only at Hotel Porcel Avant Torrejon in Torrejón De Ardoz, Spain – from £171pp
For more good-value holiday deals, we rounded up the best all-inclusive beach holiday deals to Egypt this autumn.
Or you could also visit the exotic Cape Verde islands this September and October for 30C highs, cheap hotels and surprisingly short flights.
Plus, we've also revealed the wallet-friendly island known as ‘Croatia’s best-kept secret’ – with beaches to rival Greece.
Prices correct at the time of publication.
Source: Read Full Article