The top holiday 'wish list' experiences for 2023 are seeing the Northern Lights, travelling on the Orient Express, and exploring the Norwegian Fjords.
A study of 2,000 travellers found staying in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives, safari in Africa and driving Route 66 in America also made the top 40 list – with ‘off the beaten track’ experiences more desirable than tourist hotspots.
Visiting Tutankhamun’s tomb in Egypt, experiencing the Midnight Sun and witnessing Iceland’s Geyser are also popular.
Martin Lister, head of itinerary planning and destination experience at Fred Olsen Cruise Lines which commissioned the research, said: “For many of us, holidays and travelling the world are one of life’s highlights.
“There are so many things that we want to see, do and explore, as shown in the wish lists shared with us and these play a huge part in us deciding where we go when booking a holiday.”
The study also found 65 per cent of adults want to see as much of the world as they possibly can, but just 15 per cent think they will manage to tick everything off their wish list due to cost, time or simply the amount they wish to see.
Read more on holidays
7 cheap and free ways to entertain the kids during half term holidays
School term times and holiday dates for 2023
Each year, the average adult spends £2,111 on trips, with somewhere off the beaten track the most likely choice for 38 per cent, compared to just 17 per cent who would choose a popular tourist resort.
Good weather is the most important ingredient for a dream holiday for half of those polled, via OnePoll, followed by experiencing the culture, nature and history of a country (39 per cent) and going somewhere you’ve not been before (29 per cent).
Others look for authentic experiences (19 per cent), seeing local wildlife (18 per cent) and all-inclusive food and drink (17 per cent).
As a result, the weather is the biggest factor when deciding where to go for 52 per cent, while 42 per cent base their decision on the landmarks or sights to see.
Most read in Travel
I stayed in a Love Hotel in Japan where you order sexy uniforms on room service
I'm a proud hotel sunbed hogger – people call my tricks selfish but I don't care
Once-popular beach resort that's 3 hours from UK with 33C summers & £217 deals
Major change as passport stamps set to be scrapped from European holidays
The travel time (39 per cent), food (35 per cent) and culture (30 per cent) are also important considerations.
While 47 per cent dislike going to the same destinations time and time again – because they have so much they want to see.
Martin Lister, from Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, added: “A cruise can be a fantastic way to experience the world, arriving in a new port, spending a day exploring and waking up somewhere different where new opportunities await.”
TOP 40 TRAVEL WISH LIST EXPERIENCES
1. Seeing the Northern Lights
2. Travelling on the Orient Express
3. Exploring the Norwegian Fjords
4. Staying in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives
5. Safari in Africa
6. Driving Route 66
7. Walking along the Great Wall of China
8. Seeing Mount Fuji in Japan
9. Whale watching
10. Seeing the Statue of Liberty, in New York
11. Swimming in the Blue Lagoon, in Iceland
12. Seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, in San Francisco
13. Greek Island hopping
14. Visiting the tomb of Tutankhamun, in Egypt
15. Paying your respects at Auschwitz
16. Seeing Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii
17. Swimming with dolphins
18. Experiencing the Midnight Sun in the Arctic
19. Seeing the Geyser, in Iceland
20. Seeing Giant’s Causeway, in Northern Ireland
21. Climbing Machu Picchu
22. Seeing the Sydney Opera House
23. Visiting the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
24. Seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa
25. Visiting tulip gardens in Amsterdam
26. Floating in the Dead Sea
27. Seeing icebergs in Greenland
28. Going to a casino in Las Vegas
29. The carnival in Rio de Janeiro
30. Seeing Father Christmas in Lapland
31. Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef
32. Bathing elephants in Thailand
33. Seeing the puffins on Lundy Island
34. Seeing Ayers Rock/Uluru
35. Disneyworld in Florida
36. Visiting Easter Island
37. Seeing Christ the Redeemer in Brazil
38. Driving the Pacific Coast Highway
39. Going to the top of the Eiffel Tower
40. Seeing The Little Mermaid statue, in Copenhagen
Source: Read Full Article
Win the ultimate adventure date weekend | The Sun
I'm a frequent flyer and this is why you should NEVER wear leggings
The best UK seaside stays & city breaks this Easter – from £15pp a night | The Sun
The cheese farm that's been crowned the best campsite in the north east – with homemade cheddar for breakfast | The Sun
The best all-inclusive family holidays this summer – from £295pp with flights | The Sun
The hugely popular Polar Express breaks are on sale for Christmas 2023 – with deals from £169pp | The Sun
The best TUI hotel in the world revealed – with rooftop infinity pools and sea-view restaurants | The Sun
Revealed: The top 50 things that make Brits feel instantly happier