THE Queen has saved Prince Harry dress code embarrassment by banning military uniforms at Prince Philip's funeral.

The Duke of Sussex who had been stripped of his military ranks faced the humiliating prospect of being the only senior male in the royal family wearing civvies.

As a result the Queen is understood to have personally stepped in and in a huge break with tradition, ban anybody from wearing uniforms and insist on all men wearing traditional suits instead.

It comes as Kate Middleton paid tribute to Prince Philip by sharing a sweet photograph of the Queen and her late husband surrounded by their great grandchildren.

The family photo was taken by the Duchess at Balmoral Castle in 2018 and shows Prince Philip looking very relaxed with the children.

The picture was shared on the official Royal Family Twitter account with the caption: "The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh surrounded by seven of their great-grandchildren at Balmoral Castle in 2018."

And the copyright was attributed to keen photographer the Duchess of Cambridge.

Cradled in the arms of the Queen is Prince Louis – a rare image of the monarch holding one of her great-grandchildren.

Read our Royal Family live blog below for the latest news and updates…

  • Imogen Braddick

    PRINCE CHARMING

    Prince Philip looks dashing in a series of snaps released by the Queen to honour his decades of service.

    The Duke of Edinburgh – Britain's longest-serving consort – can be seen laughing and joking with the public in the poignant photos.

    You can take a look at the photos here.

  • Imogen Braddick

    MILITARY VISIT

    Boris Johnson will take part in a military visit in the South West today to commemorate the death of Prince Philip.

    The PM will travel to Devon for the event as intense preparations take place for the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral on Saturday.

    Troops have been practising drills and final security measures are being put in place ahead of the service, which will take place in Windsor.

  • Imogen Braddick

    ITV SPECIAL

    ITV will air a special show for Prince Philip's funeral – hosted by Harry and Meghan's pal Tom Bradby.

    The programme, titled Prince Philip – A Royal Funeral, will be presented by both Bradby and Julie Etchingham.

    It will be broadcast on Saturday from 1.15pm, ITV announced in a statement.

    You can read the full story here.

  • Imogen Braddick

    FAMILY AFFAIR

    Boris Johnson will not attend the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral to allow for the attendance of as many family members as possible.

    The Prime Minister won't be a part of the restricted group-of-30 allowed to attend the funeral in line with coronavirus restrictions, No 10 has said.

    The decision has been made so that the limited spaces can be taken up by grieving members of the Royal Family.

  • Imogen Braddick

    FAMILY PORTRAIT

    Kate Middleton shared a sweet photograph yesterday of the Queen and Prince Philip with their great-grandkids.

    The gorgeous snap was taken by Kate at Balmoral Castle in 2018, and it features seven of the monarch and Duke of Edinburgh’s great-grandchildren.

    The picture was shared on the official Royal Family Twitter account with the caption: "The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh surrounded by seven of their great-grandchildren at Balmoral Castle in 2018."

    Credit: Reuters
  • Imogen Braddick

    PHILIP AND DIANA

    Prince Philip reportedly told Princess Diana "I can't imagine anyone leaving you for Camilla" in letters he wrote to try and save her marriage to Charles.

    Philip made a special effort to welcome Diana after she married Prince Charles in 1981.

    When Diana's marriage to Charles began to fail he started writing to his daughter-in-law and became a self-confessed "marriage counsellor".

    Former Royal butler Paul Burrell claimed he "did more trying to save Charles' marriage to Diana than his son".

    In one letter, the Duke of Edinburgh expressed his shock at Charles' relationship with Camilla Parker-Bowles, saying: "I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind leaving you for Camilla. Such a prospect never even entered our heads."

  • Imogen Braddick

    DAILY WALKS WITH THE QUEEN

    The Duchess of York has been supporting the Queen with daily walks at Windsor as she mourns the loss of Prince Philip.

    Fergie, 61, has not been invited to the funeral on Saturday, royal sources confirmed.

    But the duchess and her ex-husband Prince Andrew have both been by Her Majesty’s side this week.

    They have been making the short drive from Royal Lodge to Windsor Castle, sometimes twice a day, to walk with the Queen and her new corgis.

    Credit: Getty – Pool
  • Imogen Braddick

    COVID RULES

    The Queen will wear a face mask at Prince Philip's funeral on Saturday.

    Her Majesty, 94, and other royals will not be exempt from Covid rules as her beloved husband is buried with just 30 mourners present.

  • Britta Zeltmann

    ROUND TWO

    The Queen has carried out her second in-person public engagement after Prince Philip's death – welcoming her new Lord Chamberlain to his post.

    The monarch hosted a ceremony at Windsor Castle for Baron Parker who will oversee the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral as part of his role as the most senior official in the royal household.

    The official engagement was recorded in the Court Circular – a daily list of the events attended by the Queen and her family.

    It follows her return to royal duties on Tuesday – just four days after the death of her husband.

  • Britta Zeltmann

    BLOOD RELATIVES

    Three of Prince Philip's German relatives will attend his funeral and are in isolation ahead of the service, it is claimed.

    Two great-nephews and a cousin are said to be staying with a mutual friend in Ascot, Berkshire, so they can safely be there on Saturday.

    Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden, Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse, and Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg are locked in a Covid-compliant bubble, the Daily Mail reports.

    The Duke of Edinburgh allegedly made it clear he wanted his "blood" family to be included in his funeral arrangements.

    Prince Philipp, 51, said in a statement from the house where he and his relatives remain isolated until the weekend: "It really is an incredible honour and we are all extremely touched and privileged to be included on behalf of the wider family."

  • Hana Carter

    PHILIP’S COFFIN MADE FOR HIM DECADES AGO

    Prince Philip’s coffin, which is English oak, lined with lead, was made for him many decades ago.

    The exact circumstances surrounding the coffin’s construction is a mystery, according to Royal Central, with there being no record of exactly when the funerary box was made.

    According to the Daily Mail, the coffin is so old that nobody at the Royal Undertakers actually knows for certain how long ago it was made.

    Leverton and Sons ‘inherited’ the coffin back in 1991 when they became the official Royal Funeral Directors.

  • Hana Carter

    "PARK ANY DISPUTES"

    Prince Harry has reportedly reached out to close family members to "park any disputes" ahead of Prince Philip's funeral.

    The Duke of Sussex is said to have made contact with Charles, William, Beatrice and Eugenie before he faces them for the first time since quitting his royal duties last year.

    Tensions are thought to be high within the family after Harry and Meghan's televised tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.

    The couple accused senior royals of making racist comments and ignoring Meghan's cries for help when she was struggling.

    But these issues will be put to one side while the family mourns the Duke of Edinburgh, who passed away after 70-plus years of service to the Queen.

  • Hana Carter

    PRINCE PHILIP ENJOYED ISLE OF WIGHT YACHT CLUB

    The Princess Royal reminisced about sailing in her younger years as she made her first in-person appearance at an official event since her father’s death.

    Anne appeared in good spirits as she met with members of the Royal Yacht Squadron on the Isle of Wight on Wednesday – the prestigious club the Duke of Edinburgh was once admiral of.

    The princess, 70, said she could “understand” why Philip visited the Cowes-based club, adding that he “enjoyed coming down here”, PA Media reported.

    Anne also spoke fondly of her “links” to Cowes and “early memories of sailing”.

    She added: “Early memories, this was, days-out were great fun. Events here and events in Cowes, and Uffa’s dinners. All of that. I can understand why he was here regularly”.

  • Hana Carter

    EUGENIE’S POIGNANT TRIBUTE TO ‘DEAREST GRANDPA’ PHILIP

    Princess Eugenie has paid a heartfelt tribute to her “dearest Grandpa” the Duke of Edinburgh, pledging to look after “Granny” the Queen for him.

    Looking back on happier days, the princess, 31, who just weeks ago gave birth to her first child, began her message to the duke on Instagram with: “Dearest Grandpa, We all miss you. You would be so touched by all the tributes that have been shared with me the past few days.

    “People remember sitting next to you at a dinner, or shaking your hand once, who remember you saying hello in passing, or remember how much their DofE award meant to them. I remember learning how to cook, how to paint, what to read. I remember laughing at your jokes and asking about your spectacular life and service in the navy.

    “I remember incinerating the sausages and you swooping in to save the day. I remember your hands and your laugh and your favourite beer. I will remember you in your children, your grandchildren and great grandchildren.

    “Thank you for your dedication and love for us all and especially Granny, who we will look after for you. With all my love Eugenie.”

  • Hana Carter

    QUEEN & ROYALS TO WEAR FACE MASKS TO PRINCE PHILIP’S FUNERAL

    The Queen will wear a face mask at Prince Philip’s funeral on Saturday.

    Her Majesty, 94, and other royals will not be exempt from Covid rules as her beloved husband is buried on Saturday with just 30 mourners present.

    Just 30 guests will be in attendance and the Queen will not take part in the procession from Windsor Castle.

    Prince William and Harry, who arrived back in the UK two days ago for the funeral, and other senior royals will follow the Land Rover on foot.

    A minute’s silence will be held across the nation at 3pm to remember Philip’s 70-plus years of service.

  • Hana Carter
  • Hana Carter

    ROLE IN PHILIP’S FUNERAL ‘STILL SINKING IN’ FOR SERVICE PERSONNEL

    The magnitude of being involved in the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral has not quite sunk in for members of the military, a Royal Navy commander has said.

    Philip’s close association with the military will be on show at his ceremonial funeral this weekend, with elements of the Royal Navy, RAF and Army present during an eight-minute procession in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

    The duke had a distinguished career in the Navy, and while he gave up active service in 1951 he remained closely connected to the Navy and other military organisations throughout his public life.

  • Hana Carter

    NO UNIFORMS TO SAVE HUMILIATION FOR HARRY

    The Queen has spared Prince Harry’s blushes by ordering no royals wear military uniform for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, The Sun can reveal.

    The Duke of Sussex had faced the humiliating prospect of being the only senior male in the royal family wearing civvies after losing his honorary ranks.

    A military source told The Sun: “It’s the most eloquent solution to the problem.”

    Another source confirmed last night that “current thinking is no uniforms”.

  • Hana Carter

    QUEEN RELEASES HEARTWARMING PICTURES

    The Queen has released heartwarming new photos of her and Prince Philip – including a stunning black and white family shot.

    The Duke of Edinburgh can be seen carrying out his immense workload as Britain's longest-serving consort in the pictures.

    One shows the Queen gazing lovingly at her husband of 73 years as they attend one of thousands of royal events.

    In another posted on the Royal Family Instagram, a young Queen and Philip look utterly in love as they frolic with their family on the Royal Yacht Britannia.

  • Hana Carter

    QUEEN AND PHILIP’S FIRST HOME WILL BE TURNED INTO A MUSEUM

    The villa in Malta where the Queen and Prince Philip lived between 1949 and 1951 is undergoing a huge £9 million restoration, to transform the home into a museum.

    The five-year project is underway on the two-storey villa near the capital of Valletta.

    The aim was to promote the relationship between the Mediterranean island and the UK, and the Royald Family, the Daily Mail reported.

    A huge effort was needed to save the villa, where

    Then-Princess Elizabeth was in her first years of her marriage when she lived at the home, from 1949 and 1951.

    She moved to Malta when her husband, Prince Philip, was based there, in command of the Royal Navy Frigate.

  • Hana Carter

    HARRY AND MEGHAN ‘REGRET’ TIMING OF INTERVIEW

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly have “regrets” over the timing of their interview with Oprah Winfrey – but say they had no control over when it was aired.

    The bombshell interview aired while Prince Philip was in hospital, just weeks before his death.

    A source close to the pair reportedly told Heat Magazine that while they may regret the timing of the interview, it was something they felt they had to do.

    Harry had not seen the Duke of Edinburgh in over a year following his decision to quit the Royal Family.

  • Hana Carter

    PRINCESS ANNE REMINISCED ABOUT HER CHILDHOOD

    Princess Anne reminisced about her childhood as she made her first in-person appearance since Prince Philip’s death. 

    The hard-working Princess Royal returned to the day job this afternoon on the Isle of Wight – just four days after her father passed away.

    Anne, 70, wore a black coat and black trousers with large sunglasses as she arrived on the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes – the prestigious club Prince Philip was once admiral of.

    She spoke fondly of her "links" and "early memories of sailing" at the club, and took time to chat to senior members and aspiring young sailors.

    Asked by club commodore Jamie Sheldon about the vessels she had sailed on, Anne said: "I started really with Bloodhound (a yacht). I then regressed to dinghy sailing for a bit."

  • Hana Carter

    PIERS MORGAN SAYS PRINCE ANDREW SHOULD BE DENIED ADMIRAL'S UNIFORM

    Piers Morgan said "shameful" Prince Andrew should be denied wearing an Admiral's uniform until he speaks to the FBI over his alleged links to Jeffrey Epstein.

    The former Good Morning Britain host slammed the Duke of York's uniform request as "completely outrageous" since he's failed to either clear his name or return to public duties.

    The Duke of York, who stepped back from public duties over his friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein 18 months ago, was made an honorary Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy on his 55th birthday in 2015.

    He was due to be promoted to Admiral on his 60th birthday last year, but offered to defer the role until he cleared his name and returned to public life.

    Now, the 61-year-old prince has reportedly told the Queen and senior officials he wished to attend his father's farewell as an Admiral.

    Her Majesty is expected to make a decision on Andrew's outfit in the next 24 hours.

  • Hana Carter

    PRINCESS ANNE SEEN FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE FATHER’S DEATH

    Princess Anne was seen for the first time since her beloved dad Prince Philip’s death.

    The hard-working Princess Royal returned to the day job this afternoon on the Isle of Wight.

  • Hana Carter

    PRINCE ANDREW DEMANDS TO DRESS AS ADMIRAL FOR PHILIP’S FUNERAL DESPITE DEFERRING TITLE AFTER EPSTEIN SEX SCANDAL

    Prince Andrew reportedly told the Queen he wished to dress as an Admiral for Prince Philip’s funeral – despite deferring the title after the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal.

    The Duke of York, who stepped back from public duties over his friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein 18 months ago, was made an honorary Vice-Admiral in the Royal Navy on his 55th birthday in 2015.

    Now, the 61-year-old prince has reportedly told the Queen and senior officials he wished to attend his father’s farewell as an Admiral, The Daily Mail reports.

    Her Majesty is expected to make a decision on Andrew’s outfit in the next 24 hours. A source told The Mail: “People have opinions and there are ongoing discussions about the right course of action.”

    Source: Read Full Article