BOGOF ban held up for two more years: Rishi Sunak postpones proposed end to ‘buy one, get one free’ deals after ‘nanny state’ criticism amid cost-of-living crisis
- The Prime Minister postponed the plans for a further two years over food prices
- Read more: Rishi Sunak dodges questions on ban on BOGOF junk food deals
Rishi Sunak last night postponed a proposed ban on ‘buy one, get one free’ deals after colleagues condemned the ‘nanny state’ plan.
The Prime Minister said it was not right to press ahead with the plan, part of an obesity crackdown, amid the cost of living crisis.
The policy had already been delayed until October 2023. This will now be extended for a further two years.
The PM has been facing a revolt over the issue after a government impact assessment found the move would save people three calories a day. Tory MP Philip Davies branded the policy ‘bonkers’.
Mr Sunak said last night: ‘I firmly believe in people’s right to choose – and at a time when household budgets are under continuing pressure from the global rise in food prices, it is not fair for government to restrict the options available to consumers on their weekly shop.
The PM (pictured on June 14 at PMQs) has been facing a revolt over the issue after a government impact assessment found the move would save people three calories a day
Britons have been struggling with soaring food prices amid the Ukraine war and fallout from Covid (file picture)
‘It is right that we consider carefully the impact on consumers and businesses, while ensuring we’re striking the balance with our important mission to reduce obesity and help people live healthier lives.’
Read more: Rishi Sunak dodges on whether ban on BOGOF junk food deals will go ahead as Tories warn him the ‘nanny state’ move is ‘idiotic’ and ‘bonkers’ during a cost-of-living crisis
The delay means shoppers will be able to continue taking advantage of multi-buy offers, which some health experts say can be unhealthy and contribute to obesity.
Government sources insisted that tackling obesity remains ‘a priority’ as it will help to reduce strain on the NHS.
This month the Government announced the rollout of a new generation of obesity drugs to support people to lose weight and reduce pressure on hospitals. Boris Johnson, in his first column for the Daily Mail, backs the move.
He writes: ‘The obesity crisis in this country is appalling: more than three-quarters of older people are overweight or obese – and the numbers are terrible among the kids.
‘Yes, the drugs will cost a bit to begin with, but those who can afford it should pay; and think of the savings for the NHS in diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
‘We are performing terrible invasive and destructive surgeries and treatments – all because people could not restrain their appetites. Why not help them?’
Source: Read Full Article