CRIMINAL prosecutors in the US consider Prince Andrew as a “person of interest” in the Jeffrey Epstein probe, it was claimed yesterday.
Investigators are keen to interview the Duke of York, 61, as a witness in their investigation into the dead billionaire paedophile’s alleged co-conspirators.
But a source familiar with the probe, quoted by respected news agency Reuters yesterday, said prosecutors considered Andrew a person of interest.
The source said Andrew was viewed “at least as a potential witness”, but they do not expect to interview him.
They added: “He doesn’t seem to want to talk to us.”
It is the first time anyone connected with prosecuting the Epstein case has described the Queen’s son as a “person of interest”.
New York criminal lawyer Daniel Bibb, 66, said: “They are thinking he may have been involved in criminal wrongdoing. They may be investigating him.”
Another US lawyer, who did not want to be named, said it was “bad news” for Andrew as prosecutors “haven’t ruled out the possibility he committed a crime”.
Last year prosecutors said he had “sought to falsely portray himself to the public as eager and willing to cooperate”, but provided “zero co-operation” to the probe.
Investigators from the Southern District of New York claim Andrew has repeatedly declined requests to talk with investigators.
🔵 Read our Prince Andrew live blog for the latest updates
The Sun revealed last year that US authorities had filed a mutual legal assistance treaty request with Britain — to help get his co-operation.
Virginia Giuffre also filed a lawsuit against the duke on August 9, claiming he sexually assaulted her while she was just 17.
He has vehemently denied her allegations in the past. Representatives of the prince declined to comment when contacted by The Sun last night.
The US Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York also declined to comment.
Source: Read Full Article