THE Premier League gets underway on Friday night – can newly-promoted Burnley throw an early spanner in the works of champions Manchester City?
Burnley vs Manchester City odds
Here are the latest match odds for Burnley vs Manchester City.
⚽ Burnley vs Manchester City betting preview
Premier League football returns to our screens on Friday night after a 75-day break.
The first game pits the reigning champions against newly-promoted Burnley, a club managed by Manchester City legend, Vincent Kompany. There’s your Sky Sports angle right there.
It’s fair to say that Kompany has done a fantastic job since taking over at Turf Moor last summer, winning the Championship in his first season, but this is a new, greater test and games don’t come much tougher than against City.
It’s only two months and a day since they completed the Treble and therein lies the potential trouble for them this season.
With the quest for the Champions League holy grail finally completed, will there be a lack of motivation this time around, especially given City have now won this competition in five of the past six years?
They were certainly well short of their best in last weekend’s Community Shield.
bet365 Bonus Code: SUN365
Get £30 in Free Bets with bet365 Bonus Code “SUN365”
New Customers only. Bet £10* & Get £30* in Free Bets. Sign up, deposit between £5* and £10* to your account and bet365 will give you three times that value in Free Bets when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. The bonus code SUN365 can be used during registration, but does not change the offer amount in any way. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply.
SIGN UP HERE
Pep Guardiola will undoubtedly have worked hard to ensure that doesn’t happen and you’d expect them to raring to go here – a drop-off seems more likely once they are into the meat of the season.
Here, they can be expected to justify their short price, although it is unlikely to be as easy as last season’s 6-0 FA Cup win over the same opponents.
Turf Moor will be buzzing under the lights and Burnley showed last season that they are very good team, one widely tipped to survive.
They can keep it close but a narrow away win looks the call.
Best betting offers for Burnley vs Manchester City
Our top-rated football bookmakers:
📝 Burnley vs Manchester City key stats
- Manchester City have won their last 11 games against Burnley, conceding only one goal in the process.
- Over 2.5 goals landed in 66% of Man City’s Premier League games last season – only Arsenal had a higher such figure.
- Only one team (West Ham) collected fewer cards than City in the PL last season, while only three were cleaner than Burnley in the Championship.
- Erling Haaland famously set a new Premier League record of 36 goals in a season in 2022/23. Phil Foden, likely to play more often with Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez having left, was their second-highest scorer in the competition with 11.
- Burnley’s top scorer from last season in the Championship, Nathan Tella (19 goals), is now back with parent club Southampton.
Burnley vs Manchester City best bets
Man City to win to nil
While many expect Burnley to be the best of the three promoted sides, they still seem highly likely to finish in the bottom half.
City were ruthless away to such teams last season, winning nine of 10, six of them without conceding.
They also have an excellent record against the Clarets, winning the last 11 meetings. Ten of those have been ‘to nil’, including last season’s 6-0 demolition at the Etihad in the FA Cup.
Bet on City to win to nil at 11/10 at Spreadex
Phil Foden to score any time
With Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez both departed, Foden looks set for more game time in 2023/24.
He only started 22 league games last season but still managed to score 10 goals in those matches and a better haul can be expected this time around.
Crucially, Foden could get a more central role here and while he’s not a guaranteed starter – maybe check the team news an hour before kick-off before placing your bet – he certainly looks a tempting price to find the net here.
Back Foden to score at 12/5 at bet365
Mateo Kovacic to be carded
Kovacic looks a decent price in the player-card market.
The Croatian has long been one to attract the referee’s attention and that was reflected in last season’s stats which show he was carded in eight of his 17 Premier League starts for Chelsea.
He was in the XI for last week’s Community Shield clash with Arsenal so looks a likely starter against a Burnley side who will surely give it a go on home soil in their opening game of the season.
Back Kovacic to be carded at 10/3 at William Hill
📺 How to watch Burnley vs Manchester City
- Location: Turf Moor, Burnley, England
- Time: Friday, August 11, at 20:00 BST.
- Where to watch: The match is being televised live in the UK on Sky Sports’ Premier League and Main Event channels, as well as Sky Showcase.
🔎 Read more of our Premier League betting tips
- Premier League winner odds and betting
- Premier League Top 4 finish betting odds for the 23/24 season
- Premier League top scorer 23/24
- Premier League relegation odds and tips
Remember to gamble responsibly
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry, or depressed
- Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org
For help with a gambling problem, call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or go to www.gamstop.co.uk to be excluded from all UK-regulated gambling websites.
Most read in Betting
Premier League top scorer betting odds: Who will win the golden boot?
Premier League relegation odds and tips: Who will drop down to the Championship?
Anthony Joshua vs Robert Helenius: Betting odds, tips and free bet sign up offers
Best betting apps with great sign up offers to use on sport this month
Source: Read Full Article